Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Potential next sail boat

Started by Allure2sail, November 18, 2016, 06:02:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Allure2sail

Hi:
Meeting with a broker tomorrow morning to look at what might be my next boat. Anyone out there been on a "Downeaster 32", impressive looking boat with stellar reviews. Looking at doing some serious cruising in the spring when I finally retire (for the second time). Has anyone sailed on one of these?
Thanks
Bruce
S/V Allure

Allure2sail

Pictures do not always tell the real story.....
Condition of downeaster I looked at today was a disappointment, pictures must have been a few years old and time has taken it's toll. I guess the search continues. for my next boat.
Bruce
S/V Allure

Potcake boy

One thing to keep in mind, if the asking price is let's say $30,000 then it's probably a $20,000 boat. Island packet makes a comparable boat as well as Pacific Seacraft, and there are plenty of these used and you'd be more likely to find a suitable bargain.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Gerry

Downeaster's are reviewed in the Jan/Feb. 2017 Good Old Boat mag.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

Allure2sail

Hi Gerry:
Thank you, I'll pick up a copy. Sad it didn't work for me, but I still think they are great boats but then again I like Westsail's to. Both heavy displacement, full keel, blue water boats.
Thanks
Bruce

redfishnc

I drove to Lake Erie in Ohio to look at an Aloha recently.  Old and it showed poorly.  Obvious oil leak.  It also had the motor drive that reversed direction, not sure what they are called but many Canadian boats have them.  I am not a fan of that design.  Nice boat with a unique layout but asking 30k.  Took my moisture meter and gained experience with it.  Lot of boats for sale, cherries take longer to find.  My first boat, a Catalina 30 was a freshwater boat from Lake Ontario.  Unbelievable shape and made offer at end of showing.  I looked at 17 Cat 30s before I bought.  Nice looking Alberg 29 for sale on yachtworld, price just dropped 10k to 19k.  Cherries are out there.