a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hard starting outboard

Started by philb Junkie19, June 27, 2017, 09:31:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philb Junkie19

I'm enjoying the new old outboard that I bought last winter. The '83 7 1/2 Johnson Sailmaster extra long shaft runs great and stays in in the water in seas and when going forward on the 19. One nice feature is a U shaped rod that flips up to hold the the motor in the tilted position to make up for with the addional weight of the sailmaster's lower end.  It always starts but my one complaint is initially it takes 8 or 9 good pulls after pumping the fuel bulb getting me to wonder if this is the time it won't start. It also needs more throttle than the regular start setting. It does start on the first pull when warm.

Before the season when I couldn't start it I brought iit to a local outboard guy to check out. He said that it just starts this way with extra throtle needed. I know motors can have 'personalities' but I can't help wondering if there is a likely cause and cure for its 'stubborness'.

PS. The new 15 iinch garelick stainless style bracket is so effortless to use compared to the old tired garelick aluminum model.