a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Cleaning and Waxing Hull and Deck Questions

Started by redfishnc, December 27, 2016, 10:12:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

redfishnc

Am good with products to clean and wax hull.  What do you use to on the deck in lieu of wax?  What about cleaning and treating the SS?  Yep it's winter and time to get projects done.  I currently use T9 on the SS but not sure if there are better applications.

marc

At the start of the season, before I wax the hull, I clean the deck with oxiclean powder diluted in water. (I found that the oxiclean tends to streak the waxed hull.) After cleaning the deck I then apply Woody Wax. I clean the stainless with Bar Keeper's Friend on a damp paper towel and then clean up the residue with water and a towel or rag. I haven't found a product I like to use to protect the stainless from rust spots, but I really don't mind since I can clean all the stainless in 15 minutes using Bar Keeper's Friend.
Marc

wes

I'm a fan of Prism Polish for my stainless and aluminum parts. It's about $23 for a 16 oz jar on Amazon. Wipe on, wipe off, no need to wait for it to dry. No rinsing. A jar lasts a long time. Leaves the metal shiny and rust free, with some ongoing protection.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Gerry

I use regular old "Mothers" cleaner and wax.  It seems to last all summer.
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

brackish

I also use Woody Wax on the deck where regular wax would be too slick for getting about safely.  I like it however I have to renew about every 2-3 months.  Fortunately it is just the last step in the cleaning operation which usually includes a light pressure wash with StarBrite non-skid cleaner with PTEF.  On my 23, the whole affair takes about two hours at the dock so not too bad.