a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

1/4" Rods

Started by rogerschwake, January 03, 2017, 10:29:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rogerschwake

Can any one tell me what those two 1/4" rods do on the aft side of the mast gust below the hinge. They only come into play when the boom, sail and gaff are all the way down and your ready to lower the mast. I can't figure out what there reason is for being there unless it has something to do with the sail blowing around when trailering. I always trailer with a sail cover on so if that is the reason I would like to get them out of the way. Is there some reason that I don't realize not to remove these rods from the mast.

ROGER

Peter Dubé

I never thought about those brackets before. Now that you raised the question, I would like to know what the purpose is too!
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Peter Dubé

I called the factory and talked to Gerry Hutchins, the owner.  Tell me what other company you can call and talk to the president???

The rods are called sail guides.  The purpose is to prevent the sail from getting caught on the mast hinge when raising.  He said they really help. 

I will keep mine.  Roger, if you remove yours, tell us how it goes.

I would think they really help if the wind gets sideways on you when you are raising the sail.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

rogerschwake

Thanks for checking with the best informed people on this planet, the president of the factory. I plan on taking a good look at the sail guides and probably leave them in place. Thanks again.

ROGER