a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Old Sailing Manual Term

Started by Lazar, March 09, 2017, 01:40:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lazar

I was reading an old catboat sail manual last night and came across a term I can't get properly fixed in my non nautical brain. It sounds simple enough for even me, but I can't research enough to lock down what it means exactly.

"..trimming the sheet so the boom lies just over the quarter."

Maybe I'm looking for too precise a position? Any help picturing its meaning would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Potcake boy

In essence, it means don't oversheet the sail. Cat rigged boats don't sail as close to the wind as sloops, and pinching is ineffective.  So it is best to ease off the sheet and sail for speed.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

Bilgemaster

Pretty new to sailing myself, but unless I am mistaken, the boom of the really "old school" gaff-rigged catboat shown below is lying just over its (port) quarter (the sides of a boat aft of amidships).

Tom L.

It means to sheet the main so that the boom is just over the Leeward aft corner of the boat. On a cat boat a little further out is better than a little further in. Never pinch a cat boat the sail is too square (low aspect) to produce much of a foil when pinched. And our hulls do not have high aspect undersides as well.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Lazar

Quote from: Tom L. on March 09, 2017, 08:40:16 PM
It means to sheet the main so that the boom is just over the Leeward aft corner of the boat. On a cat boat a little further out is better than a little further in. Never pinch a cat boat the sail is too square (low aspect) to produce much of a foil when pinched. And our hulls do not have high aspect undersides as well.

Tom L.

Thanks...I think that clears it up for me. I appreciate you response.