a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Update on various issues

Started by alsantini, October 24, 2016, 02:49:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

This summer I wound up "fixing" a few items on Off the Wind and figured maybe an update?
Replacing the finders: The plastic finders from EO Smith are fantastic although they did indirectly force me into getting 13 inch tires. (bracket placement was impossible on my trailer for 10 inch tires).  Overall I love the larger tires and am hopeful that the 1.5 inch extra height of the trailer will not be an issue during shallow water launches.  The trailer rides better, transmits less vibration to the vehicle and I believe will be easier on the boat in the long run.  Replaced the window gaskets:  The replacement gaskets really seal the window well - no more leaks in rain storms.  Easy to install in less than 15 minutes.  I coated them with McLube after install which will hopefully prevent the hardening of the lower edge because of the sun.  Good deal and really sealed up the boat.  Broke the lower hinge tab that is used to lock the mast in trailer position.  I had a great welder re-weld the two little tabs that face forward on the bottom 1/2 of the hinge.  There was little penetration of the original weld and he was not surprised that it broke.  BUT, after putting it back together I realized that the mast would rock back and forth on the tabs as I drove.  I now have two bungee cords from the spreader to the railing.  They kinda centers the mast taking the pressure off the tabs.  Appears to do the trick but Saturday we tow to Florida, which will be the ultimate test. Replaced the furler foil: When we got home from Florida in the Spring I realized that the top inch of the furler foil was cracked.  I realized that there is no way to repair and had to buy the full foil ($$$$)  I would normally remove the furler top tab from the mast after each sail so the furler could ride further aft.  I will not do that except for long rides (like to FL this Sat - duh).  I have a cut to length 1X1 that will take the weight of the furler.  This way I will only remove the front stay 4 X a year rather than each time I sail.  In the summer the boat is in a slip but in winter I trailer sail so twice a week or so I would pop it out of the mast and I think this was tough on the foil top.  Added as Garmin 44dv:  A great chart plotter and depth finder on a bracket that allows it to be stored in the cabin or pulled out to the companionway to be viewed.  Came with software for the US coast.  I have not put the depth finder sensor in just yet - project for Florida.
So, what have the rest of you been up to?  Always interested in projects.   Sail On - Al

alsantini

Those things that cover the tires are fenders not finders....  ugg  and I even proof read it!!

captronr

Cracked furler:  The one on my Mac was cracked the day I bought it 9 yrs ago.  It was about a foot up from the bottom.  Hasn't gotten worse, so I've just kept using it.

I plan to check and monitor the mast tabs, but I typically have bungies/ratchet straps around it to hold it in place.

Something you might consider, if you haven't already, is the box stores sell 2 inch wide velcro that has opposite 'hooks' (not sure what they are called) on each side, so you can use scissors and cut off a foot, then wrap it around things and attach it to itself.  If I have the furler on the mast traveling, it works great to secure things in place. 

Be cautious that very similar looking boxes have the hook on one side and TAPE on the other, so that doesn't work as well. 

An added benefit:  If you wear double knit shorts, you can stick these on your shorts until you are ready for them..................... Of course, anytime you get close to them, they stick to lines, your shorts, or towels, etc. (grin)

A product Mgr where I used to work claimed our company had the best welders in the world!  He said they could run a perfect weld between two pieces of steel and not get any penetration on either part!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Vectordirector

Hi,

You certainly have been busy.  Are you still working?  Glad to hear you got the fender issue worked out. 

I was heading out yesterday for a solo sail and there was an Eclipse coming in,  never saw that one before, looks fairly new.  Hope to see it again.  It turned out to be a perfect day and I was out for 4 hours.  Today looks the same so I'll be heading out soon. 

Deb came down last week for my birthday and we had a great time boating, swimming, eating and ....  we have made a commitment to get back together.  She and my daughter will be coming down for Thanksgiving, should be great fun.  My lease expires March 31 and I'm probably going to snowbird next summer.  Planning on shipping the Eclipse back north for lake geneva and leaving it there.  I'm planning to be back here around November 1 2017 if all works as planned and I can find a place to rent or buy.  I'll be leaving the eclipse up north and may buy a sail boat for down here.  I sold my jeep so I don't have a tow vehicle here.  I had had enough of the jeep and bought a 2012 BMW 650 convertible.  Love it but it can't tow anything.  Still have the Range Rover up north to tow the boat from the yacht club parking lot to the ramp (about 100 yards). 

Arthur and I have been sailing 3 days a week or so and having fun figuring out his boat with the new working jib.  She sails much better now as we don't get overpowered as much as we did with the big genoa the boat came with.  We had it out in 15 knot gusts last weekend and it was fun but a lot of work.  The Eclipse is much easier to sail than the Cape Dory 22.  The 22 weighs a lot more and is more stable in a blow or waves so we like it in heavier winds but it is work.  I was beat after 3 hours. 

Projects have been limited to the power cat.  New Garmin 94SV plotter/sounder and a new stereo.  I did the stereo and had a tech install the plotter.  Not cheap but much better than the old one that came on the boat that died last summer.  Stereo is basic but sounds good until the engines drown it out.  Trying to decide what to do about the inoperative electric head.  It makes some noise but that's about it.  I've been studying up and it looks like a new one is $500 plus labor to swap it out.  Not something I want to tackle myself.  I never need it but the girls may at some point.  It is on the list as well as getting the hulls compounded and waxed.  It is looking pretty chalky.  Other than that I'm very happy with the boat.  We ran down to Cabbage key for lunch and it was about an hour dock to dock.  Coming back into a steep 2 ft chop she ran smooth as butter at 25 knots.  Come on down and we can do the same sometime.

Have a safe trip, let me know when you are situated and we can go for a sail or power boat ride.

Bryan
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Ron.  My furler was cracked totally through 4 inches from the top.  Sometimes when the furler top would come out of the mast, it would snap back from the 90 degrees necessary to get it out.  I think this is what did it in.  I have found yellow bungees that connect around the mast and whatever I want to tie down.  No hooks.  The cord slips through a small elongated hole.  Once they are pulled tight they are locked in place in the hole.  They are terrific and really hold.  I have found them only at Home Depot in Venice Florida and Blaines Farm and Fleet here in Illinois.
Bryan: Happy Belated Birthday and congrads on becoming a snow bird.   Best of luck with the reconciliation too.  It will be nice to have you around during the summer to sail with etc.  Friends of mine are having great difficulty finding a place to rent in the Charlotte harbor area.  Not much available apparently.
I am still doing some teaching and a bit or writing for the company.  Just finished off the year with a day at a General Motors conference in Detroit.  Taught some digital storage oscilloscope techniques.  Next conference is not until March.