a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

outboard question

Started by kickingbug1, September 03, 2016, 10:45:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kickingbug1

i have a merc 4 hp 4 stroke outboard and have a question. last week the &*%&$%&^&  thing refused to start. i brought it home, took the carb apart and gave it a thorough cleaning (pretty bad) started it and it ran great. a couple of days later i put it on the stand to test it prior to sailing. the damned thing would start but would only run for a few seconds.  again it seemed that it wasnt getting fuel. i removed the line to the carb again and started the engine to see if the pump was pumping. gas came out. i again put the line back on the carb and the motor started and ran perfectly. i removed the fuel pump and all looked fine. any ideas?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Tom L.

Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

brackish

Agree a float needle valve can get you two ways.  If it is not sealing because of a leaky float or bad needle valve it will bypass, let too much gas in the bowl and flood the motor till it stalls.  If it is sticking in the seat it will starve the motor till it stalls.  I've had both situations, the former being the most prevalent.

alsantini

Steve.  I have the same motor although the Nissan variety.  Over the years I experienced the same unreliable conditions.  The straw that broke the motor turned out to be the ethanol in the fuel.  Eventually it had eaten into the carb float, causing it to not be at the correct level.  I ordered a full kit which included a new float, needle and seat.  I replaced all the lines under the cover, filter, and pump.  Switched over to non-ethanol fuel and the motor has run flawlessly for the past 3 years.  I have a lot of hours on mine since it goes to Florida in the winter and the runs out to the Gulf can take 45 minutes one way.  The ethanol eats away at all the rubber parts and they start floating around in the system making the motor temperamental at best.  I used ethanol safe lines when I replaced them but have not used any ethanol (E-10) since.  I know in our State (the State of confusion....) finding ethanol free is a challenge at best.  I drive to Wisconsin (short drive) for my fill ups and Florida marinas have mostly ethanol free.  If you "have to" burn E-10, add the ethanol variety of stabil to the tank.  A friend does that with limited problems.  Good luck.  Still interested in the tires/wheels?  Other guy realized he had 4 bolt hubs.

Potcake boy

In Soutwest Florida many Marathon stations sell ethanol free gas.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

alsantini

Yes, but Steve lives in Illinois - land of much corn and therefor ethanol.....

Potcake boy

Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

alsantini

Cool.  Did not realize that there were so many stations.  Not good that none are in my area - oh well.  Wonder what Steve has been burning?

Bob23

With the exception of some aviation fuel at airports, non ethanol is not available in NJ. So I plan to smuggle it in from PA or Delaware next year!! Wait!: Did I say smuggle???
Bob23

Potcake boy

Yes Bob, it's the pirate in your soul!!!!!  Do you have an eye patch hidden in your closet?
Ron
Punta Gorda Florida

kickingbug1

i found a station in carlyle that sells real gas and will be using that from now on. i did however get the motor running. took the fuel pump off and cleaned it thoroughly and she fired right up and idled perfect. im sailing tomorrow with matt and john and we will see how it runs. as to the wheels and tires i will take them off your hands if you ever get down this way. thanks for the input all
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"