a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Dimensions of Hutchins trailer

Started by romarin, November 10, 2006, 12:55:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

romarin

Hello fellow CP fans! I am a new member from Montreal Canada and a new owner of a CP 19 (1987), moving down in size from a Grampian 26.  First, congratulations to the site administrator for a superb job, which is quite in keeping with the quality of the boats themselves.

Second, I would like to solicit  help on getting some measurements on the Hutchins trailer for the CP 19, which unfortunately did not come with my boat. Some measurements were provided by Steve Brown on this site in a thread from 2005, but I need also the following:

- Overall length of trailer from hitch to rear
- Width of the trailer (middle of frame to middle of frame at widest point)
- Size of the triangular portion of the trailer frame in the front
- Distance between the hitch and the apex of the triangular portion of the frame
- Number of cross members in the rectangular part of the frame

I do not need precise measurements. Thank you in advance for your help which would be much appreciated.

pelican

I recently purchased a new trailer from Compac last year. The trailer is made by Performance trailers of Largo Fl., Just outside of Clearwater. They build them to Compac specs. I went out and measured mine and here is the results. Compac set the boat on trailer and made adjustments

Overall length    17' 8''

Distance from hitch to front of triangle 6'6''

size of Triangle approx 11' 2''

number of cross members  5 including rear frame

Width  5' 2''  at rear of trailer to the Axel then narrows to front.

The boat Bow is set at 5' back from front of hitch

Number of rollers    4

Axel is 3' 3'' from rear of trailer

I hope that helps

Terry
Compac 19    #1    Clearwater Fl

romarin

Hello Terry

Thank you very much for the information. I am impressed by the dynamism of this owner group. If I may take a bit of your time, I have one clarification to ask you. If you go into the photo gallery of this site and make a search on 'trailer' you will see a file which is the last one . This is a crude diagram of a 'generic' trailer. Can you confirm that this is the general shape of the trailer ? You will see that, as drawn, the frame is a combination of a rectangle and a triangle in front. If this is the shape of the frame, could you provide the dimension which is marked with a question mark ? Also I will need the height of the winch above the tongue of the trailer. When all of this is done, I will post a detailed diagram combining your information and the other information  obtained from the site to provide other members with a 'definitive' description of the trailer. Thanks

romarin

Hello Terry

You may have difficulty viewing my diagram using the search function. You can also access it on the main page of the photo files under 'latest additions'  Thanks.
Eric

pelican

It is 4'8'' and it is the location of first roller

the winch is 2'4'' to the center above trailer frame

Good sailing

pelican

I should add that the trailer in your diagram is drawn showing the construction with straight pieces of steel. A home built trailer like that would certainly work,but on the performance trailer, the triangle is constructed with long sweeping curves as opposed to straight pieces

romarin

Thank you very much Kerry. You have been very helpful.