a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

HC vs Menger 19

Started by Tom L., September 01, 2016, 10:57:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L.

Any of you HC sailors ever sail along side a Menger 19. I have checked out a Menger 19. It is not as nice in the cabin as a HC but it is doable for us since it does have really long cabin bunks and good sitting head room. It also has a huge cockpit.
Just wonder how the boat sails.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

rbh1515

I have an HDC whIch has a tiny cabin.  Does the Menger have a big centerboard trunk?  That's one good thing about the HC, no centerboard trunk.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Tom L.

It does but it acts like a table and has drop leafs on both sides. It feels as roomy as the HC in the cabin but it does not have a separate head area to break up the cabin. The cockpit on the other hand is significantly larger in the Menger.

One of the advantages of the centerboard trunk being in the cabin is that their is less of a fin keel and therefore it draws less but it may not point as well. Everything with boats is a compromise. In the waters we sail deeper boats are bad news. The ramps are shallow and the sailing area is as well.

That's what I was trying to determine if the Menger and HC sail about the same from someone who may have experienced both boats together. The truth of the matter is it really doesn't matter that much. These boats are gaff rigged and really don't point like a sloop but they sail like a banshee off the wind a little. At least that's what I have seen with my Sun Cat. Both rigs have hinged masts, a very important consideration for us we trailer sail all over Florida from Cedar Key to Marco the inland lakes and the ICW, east and west coast.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

cdflan

We raced against them in the open class at the Useppa Catboat Rendezvous a couple of years ago.  The Menger is a bit faster but unless you're on the racing circuit, don't see that much of a difference (plus we drag a permanent electric power pod behind the keel).

rbh1515

Big difference listed for sail area...MC 270, HC 205
That will make some difference, esp in light air.
Rob
2015 Horizon Day Cat, Waters End

Tom L.

Thanks all tor the comments. I really like my Sun Cat. Been sailing for years, too many years so now it is time to tone it down a little. These cat Boats are the ticket for us old folks. Easy to sail and just as important easy to trail.

Thanks again for the comments. Still haven't decided which boat yet, HC or Menger. Will be until late October before we know.

Tom L.