a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

aftermost spring on outboard bracket broken

Started by oceanroadus, August 28, 2016, 03:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oceanroadus

Hi all, when does the fixing end and the boating begin...ok wait don't answer that I want to stay in denial...haha.  Our 2013 Suncat has the factory outboard bracket and the spring that holds the lever into the selected height slot finally gave out on both sides today.  This is a double sided aftermost spring on the bracket not the individual ones by the transom.  Does anyone know where to get it?  Also of course a bolt would be too easy right so all I see is a black plastic cap, maybe there is a nut under there but I can't get to it now it is storming.  As always any advice on finding the part and changing out appreciated. 
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"

Previous boats: "Cherry Red" 14' sailing canoe, Suncat "Teala", Legacy "Santosha"

oceanroadus

update, I spoke with Gerry at Compac and I am going to get them to put on a new bracket for me.  Seems the best option as I prefer to have the factory style that will match the existing holes.  I would like a heavier duty bracket but I don't want to have to drill holes for it if the new bracket holes don't line up.  I think the salt water storage from previous owner helped to do in the last one as despite being stainless there seems to be ample corrosion on the spring and bolts.  The sticker on the bracket even has a disclaimer about rinsing because some stainless still corrodes.  I will see how this holds up and if not look at a better one next time.   
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"

Previous boats: "Cherry Red" 14' sailing canoe, Suncat "Teala", Legacy "Santosha"

oceanroadus

Thanks fusioneer that sure looks like it, Gerry at compac said the manufacturers recommend not working on the brackets because of the tension and a jig is usually needed.  However for 1.99 I would say somebody handy with time and a decent workbench could drill out and replace the pin with a bolt.  I went for the new bracket because I don't want to get that involved this time, next time I'll think about trying it perhaps since once a bolt was in it would seem it could be slipped out and the spring replaced as needed.  Seems a shame to replace the whole bracket when the 1.99 spring fails but I have to choose my battles or I will spend all my free time working on the boat and hardly anytime in the water!  Thanks again!!!
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"

ghsfusioneer

If anyone does take apart their bracket, a jig of some sort is indeed needed to compress the torsion springs in order to get the pivot bolts through.  This based on experience.  I band-sawed a piece of wood for this purpose and used that with a c-clamp to be able to reassemble mine.  It's just about impossible to get the thing back together just using your hands or just an ordinary c-clamp.   

cruz-in

Here is a link to the story of the development of, by a wide margin, the nicest sailboat outboard bracket I have ever seen.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/index.cfm/category/241/motor-bracket-history-of-design-and-development.cfm

Installed one on my Suncat. It is a work of engineering art. I know good mechanical design and fabrication. I retired as chief Engineer for an aircraft prototyping facility.

oceanroadus

Thanks for the link cruzin, that is the bracket I will go for if I ever need to change again, much, much sturdier looking than anything I saw available at West Marine or the Garelick models.
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"