a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

fuel tank replacement

Started by Koinonia, May 09, 2013, 10:31:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Koinonia

As most of you know I replaced my engine with a 23hp Universal 3 cylinder recently.  Most boats with this engine consume fuel at a rate of a gallon every two hours and the factory 11 gallon tank was to small to start with for any crossings when the engine might be needed for long time periods.  Ill be a purist and sail everywhere when Im retired, for now my time off is valuable to me. 
    In short the 20 gallon tank from west marine (item 8978488) was very easy to install.  It is unable to rest on the plywood like the factory tank without the hull of the boat effecting it but the height of a 2X4 is enough to solve the problem.  I cut two boards long enough to have an inch protruding from under the tank on both sides.  They were first screwed to the plywood then that extra inch on each side was used to attatch the copper straps keeping the tank in place.  Its fits just inside the radius of the steering cable and the fuel fill hose was cut short since the tank is taller.  I had gotten 7ft of 1/4 inch fuel hose which was just enough for replacing the two fuel lines.  The vent hose also got cut a little shorter and when ordering the tank I ordered the guage sending unit to go with it for diesel tanks, for the return line.
     This June I will be able to really see what the fuel consumption rate is, I only cruise at around 2200 rpm since thats the bottom of the recommending operating range and the boat is already doing 6.5 knots with no wind.  Its nice to know if I need the extra power due to high winds or iffy inlets its there.  After my vacation in FL Ill post the numbers but at the least that tank should give me 40 hours of run time.  I am also planning on having an extra jerry jug on board for safe measure. 

catalina erneston 1111

Thanks for this article, I found it very helpful. I also got a screenshot of your hand fabricated mast step.

Any one you could suggest that could make something similar for  me  for my Compac 27.

thanks again for all your help.

catalina erneston 1111