a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Update on Trailer fenders

Started by alsantini, June 30, 2016, 08:28:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Finally.....  To refresh everyone's mind, the fender brackets on my 2007 MagicTilt trailer had a life expectancy of about 600 miles.  Between the PO and me, at least 5 brackets cracked.  After each failure I would increase the size, change the angle, etc.  The vibrations from the 10 inch high pressure tires would eventually crack the brackets and the heavy galvanized fenders would wind up in the vehicle.  A consult with the factory: after giving them the VIN of the trailer, they said we are not using those fenders anymore.  Cool, send me replacements.  Sorry they will not fit because the spring mounts will be in the way.  I figured this was a two step process: replace the fenders with plastic ones (the only ones that would clear the spring mounts) and then go to a bigger tire/wheel.  Well, the first piece is done.  Man, that tire really looks small under the 13/14 inch fender......  Install was a piece of cake.  First one took an hour to get the right holes and I had to drill one new hole, second one was 10 minutes.

captronr

Nice Pic--Grin (inside joke)

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

Just to fill in the blanks, I had a 4.2 G picture and could not figure out how to reduce it.  Ron came to the rescue.  I will probably post more pics now that I know how to reduce the size.  Thanks fellow Eclipse Capt Ron.

Tom L.

OK Al, now if you could just adjust that camera to make that tire look more appropriate!!

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

alsantini

LOL.  Yes it kinda looks like it doesn't fit.  However, new ST 205/75RX14 tires and wheels are on the horizon.  Fender will still look large but I figure that is better than being too small....  Sail On

Vectordirector

Hi Al,

Looks great.  Can you do mine when you get back down here?  J/K

Sorry I didn't have a chance to hook up with you last month, Deb had me scheduled every day with home repairs, parties, ...,   etc.  Hope all is well.  She tells me the weather has been great for sailing,  hope you had a chance to enjoy the boat.  Hot down here but managed to boat 2 days last week before a damn cold I picked up on the airplane had me down and out for a couple days.  Sailed the last 2 days.  Perfect 8 knots wind and 90 degrees.  Very pleasant under the bimini.  Enjoy your holiday. 

Bryan
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Well, after changing out both the fenders and tires (to 13 inch), I towed Off the Wind down to Carlyle Lake for the CLR event.  What a difference!  Virtually no vibration out of the lower pressure 13 inch tires and having both radial tires on the vehicle and the trailer allowed both to float in unison. The only negative is the trailer tracks so well that I forget it is back there and slowly up the speed.  Cruise control prevented me from getting probably multiple tickets.  The fenders stayed put and no broken brackets.  I am one happy camper!  and...  the CLR event was fantastic.  What a great bunch of Com Pac sailors.  Steve and Sarah are the consummate hosts, covering virtually all aspects of the 4 days of sailing and social activities.  Carlyle Lake is a great sailing venue with a good ramp, great marina and enough water to satisfy any sailor.  We had the Lake to ourselves and sailed, swam, ate, stretched the truth, told stories, laughed, and maybe had a malt beverage or two along the way.  There were 3 SunCats, 3 sixteens, one Catalina 18 and you guessed it one Eclipse.  I tried to represent all of you but would rather have seen more Eclipses....  Next year?   I will post a few pics soon.       Al

captronr

Hey glad to hear that the trailer fenders are still attached!

HOPEFULLY, late this fall and next year, sailing can move way up on the priority list.  I'm hoping for a window of opportunity when our old house goes on the market and before we close on the new house............

Wanting to see your pics soon.  You know, one of the things the organizer of Sail Havasu did which was GREAT was he created a flicker account and gave all attendees the password to post their sailing pics.  During those weeks, I got more great pics of OUR boat that others took, as well as receiving thanks from others who's boat pics I posted. 

Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain