a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Nissan 6hp long shaft idle & throttle questions

Started by oceanroadus, July 01, 2016, 02:43:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oceanroadus

Hi all, I have a 2007 6hp Nissan outboard xl shaft that came with our boat, it is the same as the tohatsu sailpro as far as I can tell. It starts and runs great so I really hate to mess with it but the issue is at idle it will stall if I don't leave it throttled up a bit. Throttled up a bit I have let it idle for a good while in the driveway while checking it out with no issues but in the water while docking or anchoring  I can't leave it throttled up too high because of having to shift into gear at low rpm etc and also don't want a stall while approaching dock. I am good with periodic maintenance and handy enough to follow guidance but manual has nothing on idle or throttle adjustments and you tube doesn't seem to have anything helpful. I feel like idle adjustment up may be the answer since that may allow for it to not stall but allow shifting but not sure if throttle minimum adjustment is also needed. Any advice appreciated there is a dealer about 45 minutes away just would rather do myself if possible.
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"

Previous boats: "Cherry Red" 14' sailing canoe, Suncat "Teala", Legacy "Santosha"

Tom L.

The small 4cycle engines are prone to carb fouling usually cause by dirt and or the use of ethanol laced fuel.  Your dealer, if he's good, can clean the carb and float bowl. Some dealers won't fool with that but will install a new carb. More expensive. When you get it fixed use only non ethanol gas. It is available lots of places.  Try puregas.org.to find a local station.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Shawn

You can adjust the idle on the Sailpro easily by just turning the idle screw on the carb. Don't set it too high or you would be slamming gears when shifting.

There may also be a hidden mixture screw too but I never looked for one on my Sailpro when I had it. My little Suzuki hit it under a small metal cap that had to be drilled out. I think they are hidden on most engines now.

Shawn

ghsfusioneer

It does sound like the idle jet may be plugged possibly due to Ethanol gas corrosion.  See if you can take the carb apart to ensure the jets are clean.  I've found even a microscopic blob of debris in the jet orifice can make these little engines not idle well.
...fusioneer

marc

I had the same problem on my Nissan 6hp model NSF6A2. If you happen to have the same engine (and actually I'd expect all engines in this horsepower range to be similarly built) look at the parts catalogue at this link:

http://www.tohatsu-nissan-parts.com/Parts%20Catalogs/NISSAN/4-Stroke%20&%20TLDI/Parts%20Catalog%20NSF4A2-5A2-6A2%20%20%282002%29%20-%20%28002N21046-3%29.pdf

The carburetor diagram is on page 10. The idle screw (stop screw) is part 1-13. Increase your idle rpm by turning the screw in. I messed around with this on my engine and was not successful. I finally just pulled the carburetor, disassembled it, and cleaned it using a carburetor dip. Before you go that far though, you may luck out by just shooting a spray carburetor cleaner directly into the carb with the engine running. I've heard of folks solving their problem that way but that didn't work for me either.

Good luck.
Marc

Shawn

That carb diagram shows the pilot set screw and the plug it is hidden behind. Adjusting that could help with the idle and initial acceleration as well.

Shawn

oceanroadus

thanks everyone will take a look at it on the weekend, try a cleaning or adjustment!
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"

Previous boats: "Cherry Red" 14' sailing canoe, Suncat "Teala", Legacy "Santosha"

Potcake boy

My experience with these small engines is that the idle jet gets plugged easily and especially so with ethanol gas. It either causes or leaves a tan color powder like substance in the bowl which inevitably gets into the idle jet and plugs it. Most float bowls seem to be aluminium so it could very likely be corrosion from the water carried by the ethanol. Remove and dismantle your carb and clean it. I used a single strand from a electrical cord to clean the idle jet - it's a very tiny orifice. I now use only non ethanol gas and haven't had any more problems of this sort.

I am NOT getting political here, but it seems the big corporations keep finding new ways of getting rich and we consumers are left to deal with the problems they create. Today we enjoy many benefits of technological advances, but sadly we have lost many of the benefits of low tech. One day our little outboards will require computer diagnostics. I enjoy fixing my own stuff but it gets more complicated all the time. Maybe I'll just settle for working on the lawn mower, thank you Briggs and Stratton. That's probably one of the attractions of sailing for me, the principles are as old as - well really old.

Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

brackish

When it stalled was it hard to restart? Hope you got this problem fixed by now, but I just had a similar problem with my Suzuki 9.9.  Turns out not to be a jet problem I cleaned them thoroughly and still had the problem.  It was the float/needle valve.  It was bypassing just enough to allow it to flood if it sat at proper idle speed for a few minutes Then it would stall either with idle over time or when trying to accelerate after a long idle and would be hard to start.  You can check for this by seeing if the motor restarts quickly if you turn the float bowl drain screw and drain the bowl.

oceanroadus

Thanks for advice everyone, I finally got to this project I had been doing some woodworking inside the cabin based on inspirations from what others have done.  Anyway, I decided to remove and clean carb, was very easy considering there are a couple of you tube videos that show step by step, also the I think the carb is designed very well and simple. Once I replaced it I fired it up and adjusted the idle up so that it runs steady with no throttle but can shift without slamming gears.  I would say anyone that is moderately handy can do this repair.   
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"

rogerschwake

Can I take the carburetor off, take it apart and clean it with out buying a rebuild kit for $40. Or will I need the new gaskets to put it back together. I'm having trouble with the engine flooding and then making it real hard to start.

oceanroadus

Hi Roger, I did exactly that, the gasket was like new so not an issue there.  If it is brittle or cracked in anyway then you would of course replace.  I wasn't having major issues with the way it ran and it started great just would stall at idle so I wanted to start with the carb clean before I adjusted idle.  It was only a little dirty/gummed up and it took adjusting idle up in order to fix stall issue.  That said I use stabilizer in every gas I buy for small engines and have lots of places that sell ethanol free fuel around me so I was just trying to start off on the right track with this used motor.  Also once you open the carb check the float, my float was nice and springy and light so that was good but could be another thing to check if it looks iffy you may need to replace as it may be part of your issues.       
Sunday Cat "Tik Tik"