a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Port Hinges

Started by hazelscamp, September 29, 2006, 12:55:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hazelscamp

Anyone have problems with broken port hinges or ports that are very hard to open?

I have a broken hinge on one of the four oval cabin ports.    There are two hinges on each port and one of them was broken when I received the boat.  I thought at first the break was on the glass side but actually it broke on the frame side of the port.   Looks like I will have to replace the interior part of the fram.   I hope this doesn't involve removing the exterior side of the frame and then rebeding the water seal.    Anyone have some experience in how these frames go together?  Can the inner frame be removed without disturbing the waterseal?

All my port are very stiff to open and close.  This probably contributed to the hinge breaking.   I plan to try to loosen the hinge screw a bit to make operation easier. 

Skip_956

Sorry to hear about that problem.  So far I haven't had any problems with the ports but I will certainly check them more closely.

hazelscamp

I am happy to advise that I have received a complete replacement port assembly to repair the broken hinge.   Thanks to Gerry Hutchins for, personal,  first class service!  This is reason enough to buy Com-Pac!