Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

SunCat Scuppers...

Started by cruz-in, June 12, 2016, 02:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cruz-in

Hi All,

We have a great 2000 Suncat. All my scuppers have the rubber turned up and are not doing anything to keep water out. So I figured I would replace them.

There appear to be three kinds:
1) Normal ones Like we have:
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/th-marine-flush-mount-scupper-adapter.html

2) Duck Bill Shaped ones
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/th-marine-duckbill-overboard-drain-scupper.html

3) Ones that use a Ping pong ball
http://www.wholesalemarine.com/flow-max-ball-scupper-clear.html

My thoughts are:
1) For the two scuppers up high (Bilge pump out and one in top of rear gas tank locker), I would use the ones just like came on the boar. Rarely is water intrusion back into the boat an issue with these two.

2) However for the three at the waterline (two cockpit drains and one drain for rear gas tank locker) I am considering the Duckbill or Ping pong ball design. As I have noticed water coming back up thru these (in particular the one in the gas tank locker).

What have you all used for the three near the water line?

Thanks in advance for you time and inputs.

Dan

Galnorth

A few years ago I installed the ping pong type on my lower scuppers.  They worked okay but were a little noisy at night when I slept aboard.  Have now gone back to the original type with new flappers.

cruz-in

Thanks for the reply.....never thought about the ping pong balls rattling due to a gentle ripple while at anchor....decided to go with a new set of the ole fashioned flapper valve ones....

ghsfusioneer

Mine were turned up as well, so I just turned them over by unscrewing the flange (4 screws) and flipping the rubber with the flap over.  Worked well so far....

Tom L.

Did the same on my 2001 Sun Cat. That is turned the old curled up flap valve inside out.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Bilge Rat

I need to do this (reverse the flaps). When you do this little operation do you need to re-apply any sealant/caulk before screwing the flange back in?

'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

Tom L.

B.R.

I did add sealant as I remounted the plastic flange. In addition when the ring is off I took a pointed router bit in my dremel tool and cut a grove around the flanged area. The idea was to have the grove cut partially into the PVC pipe and fiberglass hull. Then add sealant that is compressed into that area as the flange is remounted. Seems to work.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Bilge Rat

OK - thanks for that info and advice Tom.

-Shawn
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

capt_nemo

Kayak drain plug stoppers worked well when needed at waterline scuppers on my 2010 Sun Cat. They come in a variety of styles.

capt_nemo