a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Bimini options?

Started by Artisticsob, May 13, 2016, 11:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Artisticsob

Does anyone have a Bimini on their compac 16. Really would like to get one on for the Texas 200 next month but having a hard time finding one that will fit. Any suggestions? Cheap options;)  Thanks-Mike

Tom L.

Google compac16 bimin.  You will see lots of pictures that will give you an idea on how to adapt a pre-made bimin. Or make your own.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Artisticsob

Right. I have googled and see photos. What I don't know is what sized Bimini are people buying to adapt. If anyone has done this and remembers why size they bought please post the dimensions of the one they used.

Pamelina

Here's what i ordered from iboats.com. Fits fine. Pricy but I'm not a diy!
Aluminum Frame for Hot Shot BImini
$171.99
$171.99
Hot Shot Bimini Material (no frame) (Blue)

36701O
$77.99
$77.99
Hot Shot Bimini Boot (Blue)

63170O
$44.99
$44.99
Shipping Information
Items
Ship By
Estimated Delivery
Shipping & Handling
1- 3
UPS Ground
Monday, June 01, 2015 *
$0.00
Invoice Total

Subtotal
$294.97

Tax
$0.00
New Owner CP-16-Forever 16.
Previous boats CP-19, West Wight Potter 15, SouthCoast Sea Craft 22 (for sale)

ChuckD

Pamelina - great info. Thanks!
Any chance you could snap a picture of your setup?
Would love to see how it would work for my CP16.

Thanks, again!
Chuck
s/v Walt Grace (CP16)
Sequim, WA

NateD

I have an inexpensive 2-bow Attwood bimini on my 16. I can lookup the exact model if needed. I cut a few inches off the main uprights to shorten it a bit, and the main sail was custom made with a shorter luff to clear the bimini, but I think you could probably modify the bimini enough to get a normal main sail to clear, but you might have to slouch a bit while the bimini is up.

BruceW

Amazon had biminis a couple weeks ago for about $125; you could have any color fabric as long as it was gray.  Or was that grey....

Well, I got one; couldn't find the ad I responded to, but it came up in my google feed spontaneously the day after I googled biminis for Com-pac 23.

Try googling and then let the internet take care of it!
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Seadub

Our bimini, with mosquito net draped over it for bug-free anchorage. This is a work-in-progress for me. I have to sail with a reef to clear the bimini, not ideal. I plan to remove the center supprt, see if that helps, but will probably end up having my old main (needs replacing) re-cut and refinished, and ordering a new main for not-so-sunny sailing days.I still admire the simple, effective one Robert Burgess describes in great detail in the Handbook of Trailer Sailing. And, I see used biminis on Craigslist all the time!

Pamelina

Hey Chuck, boat's under a tarp at the moment and going away for a week. I'll send a photo as soon as I get back.
New Owner CP-16-Forever 16.
Previous boats CP-19, West Wight Potter 15, SouthCoast Sea Craft 22 (for sale)