a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Spring plans?

Started by alsantini, April 21, 2017, 07:33:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

Hey everyone.  Thought we might get a new topic going - that of what plans you have for your Eclipse this Spring?
I don't have any major plans other than possibly adding the stations and life lines to Off the Wind.  Not totally sure at this point.  During winter my boat is stored on the trailer 1/4 mile away in the back of the campground we stay in.  So, frequently I hop on my bike and go to the boat.  She is all waxed up, cleaned and basically ready to rig for splash.  I will go up next week and rig her.  When I travel back from Florida, I pull everything off the deck except the mast and boom.  So, it will take me about 3 hours to re-rig for sailing.  Install the shrouds, sails, anchor, bimini, sailcover, and outboard.  It was a wonderful sailing winter in Florida but I am looking forward to some fresh water lake sailing.  Based on weather, I should be in the slip at Bayview Marina sometime during the next two weeks.  What plans fellow Eclipse sailors?

TedStrat

I've got a few things planned - nothing major. First is to decide on putting a small block On the starboard spreader or something on the back of the boom gallows so I can fly the national ensign (in my case the American Flag). Not sure which way to go yet - gallows easier/spreader cooler imo. Following that get some stainless piece for the bow rail to fly the CPOA burgie.  Also ordering some new cushions from Hutchins for down below. Lastly I have a fishing rod holder that clamps on the gallows rail - I want to do a little fishing off the boat. I caught a nice salmon a few years back sailing up on East Grand Lake in Maine trolling off the back of a small wooden catspaw.
Launch for me on Long Island will be late May.
-Ted

s/v 'Helios' - Eclipse.....Huntington, Long Island NY

alsantini

Spent the morning "un-travelizing" Off the Wind.  You like the new word I made up?  She is now ready for launch day.  Probably next week.  I am getting better since it only took me 3 hours to get everything back on the deck and ready for sailing.  Outboard, anchor, side stays, bimini, mainsail, cover, Genoa are now ready for a launch day and hopefully a day of sailing Pistakee Lake.
While I was at it I stepped the mast on my MCScow, which is up for sale.  It is siting fully rigged in the back yard just waiting for the right sailor to come along and buy her.
Sail On.....   Al

kickingbug1

spring plans-----sail as much as i can-----while i still can
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

alsantini

Love the plans that include sail as much as I can.  I am like you and need to get more sailing water under my Eclipse.  While in Florida I sailed 17 times, which is a bit low for me but now I need this weather to change so Off the Wind will be floating.  I checked the slip, bought one new mooring line yesterday.  The wind was whipping the water over the docks and it was COLD!  I said to myself, should have stayed a few more weeks in Florida.
Good luck with CLR.  I hope the weather cooperates.  I am still looking to bring the boat down to Carlyle in the Fall for a few days.  I am bummed that I will not be at CLR  this year - but there is always next (I hope).
Have you had the opportunity to read Alone in the Gulf of Mexico?  Always interested in what people (sailors) think.  Sequel just about done.
Sail On.   Al

kickingbug1

yes i have read your book-----was it based on one of Carl's "misadventures". seriously liked it and look forward to the sequel. let us know when you plan on coming down so we can "race" and share some drinks and lies
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"