a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Packing for a longer cruise

Started by HeaveToo, May 14, 2015, 01:48:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeaveToo

ah....that is right.  You may have to move the battery location if you want to upgrade your house bank.  You could always move to Group 27 batteries and wire them in parallel. 
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

tmw

Are there guidelines for how much water per person per day to pack for a multi-day cruise?  I'm liking the Coast Guard app which lists both required and recommended equipment, although it can be very general, e.g. in the recommended equipment it lists "Food and Water" without any details.  It did help me list items I likely would have overlooked, like binoculars.

NateD

Quote from: tmw on March 29, 2016, 01:53:30 PM
Are there guidelines for how much water per person per day to pack for a multi-day cruise?  I'm liking the Coast Guard app which lists both required and recommended equipment, although it can be very general, e.g. in the recommended equipment it lists "Food and Water" without any details.  It did help me list items I likely would have overlooked, like binoculars.

Rule-of-thumb I've seen is 1 gallon per person per day for consumption and cooking. Personally I think my consumption runs closer to 0.5 gallons/day or less with a couple cans of pop/beer thrown in. If you have the room and can handle the weight, 1 gallon/day per person is a generally safe bet. Also, I generally cruise during cooler months, so not sweating much.

HeaveToo

I cruise in an area where I can get water.  Usually every few days I need fuel so I get water then too.

I carry bottled water, lots of it.  My water tank is for cleaning dishes and cleaning me.  I also carry a few gallons in jugs for cooking so that it doesn't have that lovely water tank taste, smell, or funk. 
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Bob23

That rule of thumb wouldn't work for me in the NJ summer heat. I easily drink 4 to 5 quarts of water daily by myself. Not to mention cooking and cleaning.
Bob23... the hydrated.

Tim Gardner

Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

tmw

tmw