a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

why I-pad vs android

Started by Tom L., April 03, 2015, 07:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BruceW

I just got an ipad as a gift. I will be trying the same apps I had been using on the iphone, see if I can see the screen better, like from the companionway mounting that some folks suggested for my gps or iphone.

There's a free app called Odyssea that I used last time out. The track is just a line on a map though. I will try Skipper this time; it's an app I used once before for an inland lake, and I think I can use its tracking feature with weather and photos added.

My gps is good, but it's a bit convoluted to get it to track. Also mine doesn't have a communications cable, so it would just be an isolated track. I did like seeing the chart for some shallow areas, but I found it hard to sail and look at. A friend coming along looked at his handheld and that was helpful. For singlehanding, I guess the chart I have is best for now, unless I can position the ipad.

Someone asked on this thread or another about waterproof cover. I am trying to find a lifeproof, I think it is called, cover for a decent price. I know they work, because I had one on a previous iphone. Too bad apple changed the form factor, har har.

Anyway, I will see how much I can get out of Skipper before I add other apps, since I have a ton of these things on the phone.

I might just be better off with one of those cool chartplotter GPS's that mounts on the companionway. I currently have a fishfinder that works, though; it only shows where I am, not where I need to look out for, though. Perhaps I 'll upgrade some time.

Meanwhile, that's where I am; anyone else have an update to this thread? Thanks!

Bruce
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

mattman

To answer your original question-why use ipad vs droid-it just seems that each platform is better at certain things. As a musician, you can buy digital work stations for pc's all over the place, they seem to work fine, but when I go into the studio I only see mac's. The engineers tell me macs are faster, more accurate, less latency on monitoring (which is really important) , and simply better performers. An IT guy I know told me when I asked should I buy pc or mac " if you are doing anything with graphics or music use mac, if it is numbers go pc."ymmv best of luck. 

hoddinr

I tried out a new iPhone navigation app in the Ten Thousand Islands last month.  It's called ProCharts, and I used it on an older iPad 2 with the larger (11"?) screen.  The cell service has been cancelled for this device, so it was just using preloaded charts (via WiFi) at home, and it's own built in GPS.

ProCharts is the MOST like a stand alone GPS that I've seen, very easy to use and intuitive.  It's a free download from the AppStore, but they would like $29/year for updates and unlimited charts.  Pretty good deal if you like it.  I could view the chart from my normal seat at the tiller in my SunCat when the iPad was leaned up against the cockpit.  Really making me rethink why I would need a stand alone GPS. 

I did take along a couple of the larger backup battery recharger units and just plugged them in when using the iPad to keep a charge up on the iPad.  That worked fine, but they would need to be recharged if I used it constantly for a week or so.

One feature that ProCharts has, built in, is called "Buddies."  If you and the other boats in your group are using ProCharts, they can see each other on their screens.  Very helpful!

Ron