a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP 25 Settee Storage?

Started by Restharrow, May 20, 2014, 10:45:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Restharrow

We have Hull #5 - finally in Vermont!!  It has a fiberglass (plastic maybe) back on the settees under the back cushions and it appears there is a TON of unused space behind it.  I'm thinking of cutting out some 6' x 12-14" holes in the back, reinforcing the edges of the space behind the settee, and putting in small cabinet like boxes with thin trim around the opening and perhaps a door for each compartment - sorta like on the 23's.  Has anyone ever done something to use this space.  Seems like a great place to keep clothes and stuff.

Steve S.
Lake Champlain and The Maine Coast

ps - soon as I figure out how to insert a photo I'll get some pics posted.  Is there a way to insert photos right off my hard drive, or do I have to put an image someplace and then have a link to it????
CP 25
Lake Champlain, Vt. and coast of Maine
FaceBook RestHarrow Farm and Boatworks

frank

There is more room aft than forward. I'm pretty sure you could cut out an opening about  8x8 or 10 and not feel too much "give" in the backrest cushion.
The 27's have larger cut outs than that.

PS...pics are a PITA here!!!!!
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

capt_nemo

Restharrow,

In order to keep additions "thin" in way of the back cushions, recommend you consider pairs of light, thin, sliding doors, perhaps even mounted INSIDE. Made of Plexiglass with finger holes for opening would even allow you to "see" the compartment contents.

Just some practical food for thought.

capt_nemo

Restharrow

Great idea.  I like the sliding door idea!!  Plan to make 2 - 12 x 20 holes on port side, one on starboard.  Will make depth of "cabinet" appropriate to what I find when I open "er up.
I'm also considering a design on the port side that makes to two compartment one (connected in the middle somehow) so I can access the whole area with two openings.
After cutting the holes to stiffen the settee back, I'll make backing out of 1/2' Meranti Ply, embedded with 5200 to the back side, and screwed from the front with Stainless.

Plexiglass also a great idea.  Thanks for sharing.

Steve S.
CP 25

frank

I'm confused (happens often :-) )  Are you meaning above the back cushions or behind them?

Restharrow

I'm meaning behind the cushions.
I cut the holes yesterday.  12" x 20"  No issues (but if you do it watch for hoses and wires first - I had none in the way.  The holes really haven't affected the strength or stability of the backs and when I get the cabinets (boxes) installed there will be greater strength.  The depth available ranges from 7> to 5", so three custom boxes inserted with a door should provide additional room for clothes or rarely used items.

Steve S.
CP 25

frank

Glad the cutting went well. That would certainly open up a lot of space. Too bad pics are such a PITA to post here. Would love to see your project.

capt_nemo

Restharrow &  frank,

There are often such hidden gems of potential large and small storage areas in boats that are not utilized by the manufacturer for cost or other reasons.

However, one must always be careful not to adversely interfere with the STRUCTURAL integrity (strength) of the hull or standing rigging. And, as Steve points out, go slow and check first (small hole, light, & mirror or small hand hole and feel) for what might be hidden behind that closed-in space, lest damage be done to something in the process of gaining access to the potential treasure trove of additional storage area that lies hidden behind.

Seat backs are a relatively safe area. My 1990 Island Packet 35 had seat back cushions stapled to 3/8" ply with 4" protrusion at bottom which rested snugly up against a teak ply bulkhead along the side and were held securely in place by the bottom cushions. Guess what, that bulkhead ALREADY HAD NICE LARGE HOLES WITH ROUNDED EDGES CUT INTO THEM FOR STORAGE BEHIND with a molded smooth fiberglass bottom. It was definitely a very well made quality boat. We stored a lot of stuff in there when cruising extensively and living aboard.

capt_nemo

Restharrow

Fina;;y have some pictures of the project.  All went VERY well.  I used a plywood template to cut out the opening with a dremil tool.  See pictures.  Then I made boxes out of 3/8 meranti ply and coated them with penetrating epoxy.  I found I did not need any doors, but elastic shock cord might be a good idea.  I found no issue with the seat cushions not having enough support.  The extra space was well used on a cruise to Maine for clothing that was not needed often.  Photos are of Port side.  I also made one compartment on the starboard side. Here are the links to photos:  (hope the links work?????)
2/12/2016

CP 25