a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sonarphone

Started by legends117, September 12, 2015, 07:59:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

legends117

In researching replacement of my original analog depth sounder, I found a wireless depth sounder (fish finder, actually) that looked interesting.   Sonarphone offers 3 models of the fishfinder, including one that can be wired to run off a standard,  12v cigarette lighter outlet.

The sonarphone produces a wifi signal to which you link a standard android or apple smartphone or pad, and they offer an integration with the Navionics app.  Typically,  the sounding unit is attached to the transom and submerged in water, but my research indicates the it be installed to shoot through the hull.

I was wondering if anyone had first hand experience they would like to share?  The manufacturer website is http://www.sonarphone.mobi

Fair winds
- JD Johnson
Panama City Beach, FL
Com-Pac 25, Hull #9
S/V Dutch Roll (from the previous 2 owners, & before that she was "somewhere up North" called Stella Bella)

Salty19

This looks very interesting!  I dropped a hint to the Admiral when discussing Christmas about the SP200 model. I really like the fact that it updates and saves the contours in the mapping software as you move along, so you have a fairly good idea what to expect the next time you pass through the area.   I have not been using the fish finder that come with our boat as the display is fairly small and tough to read. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

kickingbug1

i put a huminbird lcr in my catalina 18 this year and it works super. mounted the transducer inside just behind the keel with silicone caulk. no problems whatsoever and you can see the display in bright sunlight.
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

legends117

I have been using Sonarphone for a couple of months.  I do not sail off shore, but in a bay off the Gulf of Mexico,  so having a GPS is helpful for my navagation.  I am happy to report that Sonarphone combined with Navionics works very well.  Once I got the components installed,  I have never had a problem with the depth sounder and integration with the navagation program.   I use an older 10" Android pad, mounted with a Ram mount to the binnacle guard.  If I didn't have a place to mount the display,  I am not sure the system would be as convienient, but I like the way I have it set up.
- JD Johnson
Panama City Beach, FL
Com-Pac 25, Hull #9
S/V Dutch Roll (from the previous 2 owners, & before that she was "somewhere up North" called Stella Bella)

Salty19

Thanks for the feedback, JD.  Will probably get one.

Steve, the Sonarphone is a step above a typical fish finder in that it interacts with the Navionics GPS mapping program on smart devices.
It will rewrite the contour map built into the Navionics app as you sail, so you always have an up to date topographic map of the bottom surface.

The only downside is cost, $150. 
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603

roygump

I'm wondering.... as I think about depth finders.... I recently used an iphone Charts App while sailing on the coast around Ct./Westerly, RI. and I was able to see the depth
and also my location on the chart.  WHY would one also want a depth finder I'm wondering?  I half know the answers to this. But I'm wondering about it.

Ted

Slightly cheaper on Amazon, but no Prime shipping.
"Believe me, my young friend, there is NOTHING--absolute nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats." - The Water Rat

legends117

If I understand you right,  you are saying that you were using the GPS on an iPhone and chart app to determine your depth, based on the electronic chart.   I think that method is sufficient,  until, a) the chart depth is wrong, and/or b) the GPS thinks you are 100 feet away from your actual location.   Having run aground using your same method while trying to cut a corner and out run a storm ; I can attest to the value of a depth sounder.
- JD Johnson
Panama City Beach, FL
Com-Pac 25, Hull #9