a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Emergency Tiller

Started by Alec Hart, November 14, 2005, 10:59:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alec Hart

Does anyone have a good (read that "affordable") source for a fitting to adapt an emergency tiller on a 27/2?  It appears as thought the access port on the aft sole of the cockpit affords access to the keyed rudder stock which could accept a machined piece to which a temporary tiller coul dbe attached...  Call me a boy scout - I inspect, adjust and grease the wheel steering mechanism and still fancy an "always be prepared" emergency tiller somewhere on board...  Is this a COM-PAC offering?  A machine shop knock-off?  A bad idea?  (Aside from the obvious hole in the boat while the tiller's in use...)
Thoughts, comments, ideas?

spaul

Alec, I apologize for missing your post. I agree and have wanted an emergency tiller. I will be looking at my rudder post "top" in a few weeks. I have a new rudder position sensor to install. I will then attempt to answer your question unless of course you've gotten an answer. In that case please let us know.
I'm pretty good at fabricating items like this so I'll take a look at it and get back to you.
Steve Paul
cp27/2

Alec Hart

Thanks Steve,
No, I haven't gotten any further with my search and would appreciate any suggestions/ideas you have once you've had a look at yours.

Keep in touch - and stay on the rail!

Alec

spaul

I was over to the boat today and removed the rudder post cover located in the cockpit floor. Hadn't looked at it since I bought the boat. Well, we have a 1.25" round rudder post of stainless steel. It is keyed with what looks like a 1/4" key and extends up past the steering collar only about 3/4". I admit when I bought the boat the PO made good on some findings and new cutlass bearing and shaft were installed. To do this the rudder was dropped to pull the prop shaft. Could be another 3/4 - 1.5" could be obtained if the rudder were jacked up a little more.
That said; the only purchase one could make for an emergency tiller attachment would be a short one and only turning against the key in the rudder post. Now it might be possible to drill and tap so an adaptor could fit the post and key, and then lock it down with a machine screw.
What you'll see in my photo is the wooden mount for my propane tank which wouldn't be in the way if I had an emergency tiller.
I had another thought, that perhaps an outside tiller would work that would clamp like a clamshell over the top rear of the rudder from the outside. This could be lead up between the stern and the boarding ladder and then a right angle tiller of some sort attached to the new rudder post. Might work but would have to be self-clamping.
I would assume an adaptor could be made and welded up for the actual round rudder post top. A nicely fitting piece with bolt and keyway acceptor and then a hollow steel square post on top of that to accept a small emergency tiller. Not much room back there behind the pedestal and wheel. Of course my wheel comes off pretty easily without tools so removing that would be paramout to improving the ease of steering.
Let me know if more mechanical Engineers have ideas. I'm an electrical and chemical guy. Now to figure out how to post a photo, I guess in the images file.
Steve Paul

"IM PAUL SIVE" cp27/2

Alec Hart

I think you're on to something with the clamp idea - I didn't like the idea of having an open access hole in the cockpit sole when using an emergency set up - and the tiller contraptions I've seen for getting around a pedestal look unweldy to use and impossible to store anywhere on board anyway.  Seems I read (probably in one of Parde's books) that a hole in the tail edge of the rudder (properly epoxied and filled with life caulk or similar) would serve as a connection point for a line that could be passed to the stern cleats - all in all, a much simpler (and safer?) means to control steering in the event of steering mechanism failure - although pulling up to the dock would be like reining in a horse!  

As an FYI, the bronze shaft collar on the rudder stock is backed up by the Edson quadrant for 100% redundancy in securing the rudder to the boat.  Given that the rudder also FLOATS, it would be a bad day on your CP if you actually lost a rudder!!!

Cheers!

spaul

Alec,
You're right about a serious day if you lost the rudder on a cp27 or 35. In open water you can affect steering by trailing lines on each side with knots every few feet. How long you leave the line can ( not always) affect your course. I'm guessing this is where you unbolt the table and lash it to the boat hook :-).

I do like the clamp idea and I also like your idea (Larry Pardy's) of the hole in the upper rear of the rudder, would work just fine me thinks.

My boat is ready to pop in tomorrow or the next day. We begin another season here in Indiana.
Regards all,
Steve Paul
"IM PAUL SIVE"
cp27/2

thedavo

Alec, I have one. When we finally meet, I will show it to you. Wednesday, Ethan Bixby from North Sails is coming by to measure the boat so I will certainly be around if you would like to drop by after work. Looking forward to meeting you. Dave.

thedavo

Actually, allow me to clarify. I have an emergency tiller that you are welcome to take and see how much it would cost to duplicate. It is rather crude and should be fairly reasonable to fabricate. Sorry if I got your hopes up! Dave.

Alec Hart

I've just had the bottom painted and will be getting "Perseverance" back in service myselfWith longer daylight hours - maybe I'll get some sailing in!  She should be fast and fun with a slippery bottom.  Dave, I'll give you a call - still want to see that back stay adjuster too!

john walker

I made an emergency tiller for my 27.  I took a short lentgh of the size steel pipe that will just fit over the rudder shaft.  I drilled a row of holes in the pipe at one end the lentgh an width of the key, then filed that out so would slide down on shaft. T o take up the slop, I drilled 3 evenly spaced holes around the pipe, welded 5/16" nuts over holes.  Then put 5/16" nuts on 1 1/2" long bolts and screwed into nuts on pipe, this allows you to tighten pipe very securly to rudder stock.  When secure, tighten  nuts on bolts to lock in place.  After being sure everything fits, weld short tiller on to pipe collar with an upwards tilt to it for easier steering.  The tiller should be as long as possible without hitting pedastal( wheel removed, of course). I tried this in calm seas and it worked very well.  Gentle corrections should be made, no "horsing" the tiller as you don't have much leverage.  Took an old feed sack and shortened it for a storage bag.  John Walker

john walker

Just remembered something, before I made my emergency tiller I had a Vise  Grip clamping  tool, jaws are 1" x 4", I clamped this on at top rear of rudder and attached lines to it that I led up and through blocks hooked to  rear pulpit stanchions.  Worked good, looked odd, but in emergency, who cares?   John Walker

dvhartley

I discovered this weekend what I had overlooked before hiding in a locker was a large iron L shaped metal piece with a tube at one leg of the L and a tapered handle like piece on the other leg of the L with a hole drilled into the end. Could this be an emergency tiller? I have an 86 CP 27. If it is, and anyone wants to look at it and make a duplicate I would be glad to send it to you.