a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Weight of an Eclipse

Started by alsantini, December 19, 2015, 10:05:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

I have been following the discussion of towing on the Horizon Cat side of this web site and it raises a question in my feeble mind.  Com Pac lists the weight of the Eclipse as 2200 and the HC as 2500.  I assume both weights are without a diesel option.  With only 300 lbs weight difference in mind why does the Eclipse come with a single axle trailer without brakes while the HC comes with a tandem axle with brakes?  Has anyone weighed their Eclipse?  On my previous Precision 21, again supplied without brakes, the listed weight was also 2200 lbs.  I never felt like it was all that light, and when I contacted the factory they said the listed weight was without mast, boom, sails or outboard.  Huh?  If I make it to Florida, and it is looking better, I am going to get the girl weighed as she sails.  With 2 batteries, 4 hp 4 stroke, gas, mast, boom, anchor, sails and all the not so little junk that I have on board.  If you weighed your Eclipse on the trailer would you mind supplying the weight?  Thanks.
Have a wonderful Christmas everyone and a New Year filled with great sailing adventures - shared here, of course.  Sail on!
Al

captronr

Hi Al,

I'll try to go weigh ours once my leg heals (latest estimate-- 3 wks to get out of the brace).  I can get a weight with all the sailing stuff minus 'glop'. 

When do you plan to be in FL?   I'd sure like to drag ours down there to learn from you.

Thks.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

waterwheels

I would be curious on the loaded weight too. I tow with a 4 cylinder ford escape rated at 3500 pound towing. I put in sport mode which keeps it out of overdrive. Hauling and stopping don't seem to be any problem but I do worry about he tires. I had one separate at the tread in the first year but did a lot of trailering. I then noticed that you shouldn't go over 60 miles/hour with the small tires.

Don

Tom L.

Hi Don, did the tire tread separate on your car or trailer?? I am going to assume you are talking about the trailer.  It is very common for these small trailer tires to separate. They should be kept inflated to the specification on the side wall of the tire. Since they are so small a small amount of air loss will have the tire underinflated so they should be checked often. Also on my Sun Cat trailer I bought new tires and got the highest load rated tire in that size. The factory tires were right on the edge of being under rated. Finally these tires often suffer from sun rot. Fabric Covers help but the tires just don't last very long.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

lkm

I haven't weighed, but the PO did as he was designing a new trailer.

He gave me a printout of numbers he used.

Trailer = 962 lbs. including equipment (jack, running boards, stand, spare tire, etc)
Trailer + boat + minimal equipment (spars, rigging, engine, battery, cabin cushions, empty tanks) = 3612 lbs.
Boat alone computed 2650 lbs.

He added in numbers for 'Day sailing config'  (sails, anchor, chain, lines, cockpit cushions, stove, tools, porta potty, bimini, fuel) 175 lbs.
And for cruising (extra bedding, second anchor) 53 lbs

He also computed moment arms, and thus tuned axle placement and set the tongue weight to ~185-190 lbs. 

If you need these I could probably scan in the paper with his calculations.

Larry

2005 Eclipse #20 - Figaro

alsantini

Larry.  That is some terrific information and I for one would love to have it for my file.  Anyway you can duplicate it and get it on this board?  Maybe you have already give us the most important pieces.  Great info.  Thanks

MKBLK

Al, sorry for the topic drift, but LKM (Larry) please check the MWG posts!

Marty K.
"...when you're on your deathbed, you don't regret the things you did, you regret what you didn't do."  Randy Pausch