a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Compac 16 owner

Started by DaleM, December 08, 2015, 10:57:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaleM

I am bringing my Compac 16 to the Tampa area in December and would like suggestions on some safe areas to sail.  I'm not looking for anything too busy but safe.
Any suggestions and feedback is always greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Dale
If not now..When?

Gerry

The inter coastal waterway from St. Petersburg north is sheltered and fantastic sailing. I like the area Clearwater Beach and Dunedin. You can even venture out into the Gulf if the weather is good.  If you want to play tourist, you can use your motor to cruise areas from Clearwater to like St. Pete Beach.

Enjoy,
Gerry (WyattC)
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

DaleM

Thanks Gerry! I'll be staying at Johns Pass.  Shouldn't be too difficult finding a launch spot.  Just wantbtomstaybout of heavy traffic
Thanks for the feedback!
Dale
If not now..When?

Gerry

If you go to the ICW from John's Pass you have plenty of sailing room.  The channel can be busy with power boats, especially on weekends.  With your draft, you can leave the channel and no boats will bother you.  I also believe you can get under the 79th St lift bridge with no problem.

Gerry
Gerry "WyattC"
'81 CP16

mikew

Dale, I used to live in St. Pete and sailed my Compac 16 on Tampa Bay. Plenty of room and great conditions most of the time for a
16. I launched at a ramp at the St. Pete Municipal marina. Take 1 Ave So. to the water and go over a small bridge to Demands Landing. Follow the road to a ships store / office. Two concrete ramps, parking and a short motor through a breakwater into the bay.
It's about 25 mins east by car from Johns Pass. Also a beautiful area ( St Pete waterfront ) to walk around , check out the boats at the
Large marina  and get a bite to eat downtown.

Mike

DaleM

Thanks very much!  I am familiar with that area and wasn't sure how busy it was.  I think this will be a great place to launch.  I'll stay close in where I can get more familiar with the boat.  I've been sailing on lakes here in Ga.  Looking forward to more predictable winds.  Thanks again for the feedback!
If not now..When?

DaleM

One more idea:  Any suggestions about launching at Ft. Desoto State Park?
If not now..When?

mikew

Ok Dale, Most of the time Tampa bay had a chop of 6" to about 1.5 '. , no problem for the 16. Watch the weather for strong cold fronts from the North, a good time to wait a few days and let it blow out. I never sailed from Fort Desoto, it does border the Gulf
A great place to swim or look for shells.

Mike

DaleM

Thanks Mike.  I watched small boats launch with the Everglades challenge and was intrigued.
Good advice on watching the weather from the North.  I appreciate the feedback!

If not now..When?

hoddinr

DaleM,

Ft. DeSoto Park has 12 ramps and you can leave your truck/trailer as long as you want as long as you purchase a parking pass for it at the gate.

Excellent ramps.  Access to the Gulf via Bunces Pass (watch out for tidal currents), and under a bridge to the east you can head to Tampa Bay.

Ron

DaleM

If not now..When?

domromer

For future reference there is fantastic sailing all around honeymoon island state park, Caladesi , and over to Three Rooker. beautiful spoil islands, sand bars to stop for a swim and plenty of great wildlife.