a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Replacing mast step

Started by DaleM, January 02, 2016, 05:22:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DaleM

Im replacing the mast plate on a Compac 16.  The plate is missing and I'm not sure what the foundation is made of when I replace the screws.  One prior hole looks stressed.  Question can I move the plate back two inches and drill 4 holes and replace with new screws.  Just not sure I want to use the prior holes.  Want to make sure what is beneath the fiberglass.  
Thanks for any feedback!
Dm
If not now..When?

Cats Paw

Suggestion:
It is possible that water infiltration may have occurred over time if the previous screws if they were not sealed very well. Clear any loose or soft material from the area. Grind away any gelcoat that appears to have lifted away.  Dry area very well. Fill in area with epoxy. Reset the base using proper sizes stainless steel screws after drilling pilot holes and applying sealant to screws. Do not bolt through as this always appears to be the easy fix in this situation. The base plate is designed to breakaway or pull out by the screws to prevent the cabin deck from being torn away forbid if they were to be a rigging failure leading to a demasting.

DaleM

If not now..When?

DougN

I had the same issues when I replaced my mast step. I followed the step-by-step instructions in West Systems manual #022-550 "Fiberglass Boat Repair & Maintenance". Marine supply stores that carry West System products will often have their publications. The best part is they're FREE.
Since I'm in AuGres, I go to their headquarters in Bay City(Gougeon Brothers) and pick them up.
On a side note. They said they have two full-time employees who do nothing but answer questions about using their products. I found this to be a very useful resource. Phone number 866-937-8797.
  Good luck
Doug

DaleM

If not now..When?