a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Outboard Motor storage on trailer ??

Started by captronr, December 23, 2015, 10:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

captronr

Looking for some ideas on how to store the 3.5HP motor on my Eclipse trailer.  Current motor has only an internal tank, but might try to upgrade to a motor that has an external tank and F/N/R.

I laid it in the truck bed when I brought the boat home in Nov.. Even though the gas cap was on tight, it dripped a lot of gas over the two day trip home, soaking into my bed liner.

To me, ideally, if I could find a plastic or metal box to mount on the winch post OR on the starboard trailer frame near the front, that would be a great place to keep it safe and secure.  Put the motor in and lock the box.  But I can't find any right sized containers.   I suppose I could build a wooden box for it............

Option 2 might be to remove the plastic cap on the winch post, insert a smaller tube that has a mounting plate at the top.  Secure the motor to that plate, and cover it up.   Would ride fine, but would be in a handy spot for thieves.....

I guess one other option is to siphon or run out all the fuel, then toss it in the truck.  Or mount it on the boat and forget about it.

Any of you figured out a good solution?   THANKS.
Ron

"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Bilge Rat

Hi Ron,

I've been thinking about an outboard motor mount for my sun cat trailer. This guy's site has a lot of possibilities for the potter which might be workable.
http://www.wwpotterowners.com/Modification90.html

Additionally, I like the trailer mount for the Sage 17's. 
http://www.sagemarine.us/motor_mount.html
Not sure how this could work on my trailer though since the winch post is at an angle....?

-Shawn B

'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

captronr

Shawn,

Thanks for the reply and links.  Several good ideas in there I think. 

I would not want the lower unit to hang below the trailer frame--just asking for trouble I think.  And on my Eclipse, I'd have to make sure it doesn't interfere with the bow spirit.

Looking at the Sage Marine mount, I like the idea of the motor angling to the aft.   (My original thought was to have it stand vertical, but think angled might be better.)  I could build a bracket out of steel that would mount opposite the winch handle.  I work in steel, so I sure don't see $200 in it.  I probably have most of the stuff to build it in my garage right now...............

Ron

"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

Vectordirector

Hi Ron,

I towed my Eclipse from Chicago to Punta Gorda Florida with the 60lb 6hp Suzuki on the transom mount, lashed down with a shock cord in the down position.  Seemed none the worse for wear after 1400 miles.  Guy I bought it from towed it from North Carolina to Chicago the same way said it wasn't a problem.   YMMV.  

I think the key is to lash it down in the down position so it doesn't bounce around.  Also, I'm not strong enough to get it off and on the mount without a crane!  30 years ago I could have done it, not now.

Good luck,

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

waterwheels

Trailer my Eclipse with 6 hp Tohatsu sailpro 55 lbs. on the mount. I do take a strap under the motor and up to the cross braces on the boom arch to take some support. Took a few 300 mile trips and back no issues.
Keeping everything simple at the ramp gets you out on the water more often.
Don

captronr

Thanks for the input guys! 

No need to make things more difficult.............

Ron

alsantini

Hi Ron.  I really agree with the previous 2 posts.  I trailer with my 4 hp 4 stroke on the stern of my Eclipse most of the time.  I tie a line from the starboard cleat twice around the bottom of the motor to the port cleat - tied tight and then back under the bottom of the motor housing and tight to the starboard cleat again.  This controls some of the bouncing action.  My PO trailered from Texas to Kansas City with a 9.9 hp 4 stroke beast on the stern with no problems.  I remove the motor and put it in a thick contractors garbage bag inside the Acadia only when I travel to Florida and back.  It is more for theft in motels than safety.  When I travel to Florida there is no fuel in the motor.  Actually, the only time I have gas in the internal tank is when I have had external tank difficulties.  I use my 3 gal external tank all the time and carry a one gal emergency tank.