a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Towing a Horizon Cat

Started by Tom L., December 09, 2015, 10:29:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L.

Thanks Ron, but that would be way overkill for our need. I really only want one vehicle that is reasonable on gas for day to day use and then be able to tow a H.C. The best deal on a new cumins would be out of my budget and then it's just plain soo big for everyday. Anyway I haven't even decided on a H.C. That's down the pike I think.
Good Luck on the up and coming testing. Fingers and toes crossed.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

alsantini

Tom.  Perhaps some additional information.  I own a Com Pac Eclipse that I would think is in the ball park with the HC (unless it has the diesel option)  I tow long distance from Elgin, Illinois to Nokomis , Florida and back.  I tow with a 2011 GMC Acadia.  It has the V-6 and the towing package.  I lock out 6th gear when I tow since 5th gear gives me engine speed between 2000 - 3000 rpm at highway speeds.  I generally aim for around 60-63 mph max.  When towing I get 17 - 18 mpg and 25 without the boat.  It is a front wheel drive, not all wheel drive, since AWD lowered the towing capacity by 1000 lbs.  It is rated at 5400 lbs. towing capacity.  We also have a trailer that is about 5,000 lbs., so the 5400 capacity does the trick.  Vehicle is heavy enough so as to not be moved around by the Eclipse.  All in all I am very pleased with how it handles the Eclipse and sometimes forget it is back there - not good!!
Al

Tom L.

Thanks Al for your input. The Eclipse and a Horizon with out the inboard may be just about the same weight. Your Car is rated about 1000 pounds higher than the Edge. That's the bad news for me. The good news is I won't be trailing those kind of distances so maybe the Edge would be OK. I don't know at this time. I may just keep looking for a Horizon and if I like the boat give it a shot and upgrade the car later.

Thanks again

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

alsantini

Sounds like a plan.  For short distance I tow with my GMC Terraine.  2.5 L 4 cylinder engine.  It does a great job just does not like going over 50-55.  I have always been of the mindset that if you keep engine RPM up you can tow more than the manufacture rates the vehicle at.  Of course stopping is an issue.  My Eclipse trailer is a single axle, without brakes.  I really wish it had brakes and may even convert over next summer.  It seems to me I have seen HC with dual axles?  Might some of them have brakes installed?
Al

Craig

The current HC trailer is 2 axle with brakes. I have towed Kailani short distances with our 2008 4 cyl RAV4 AWD. Has plenty or power/traction for launch/retrieve. With so few hills the tow vehicle really is not stressed that much so that the tow rating is somewhat less critical IMHO.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Tom L.

Thanks Craig, Al, just the kind of response and experience I was hoping for. Right now the Edge tows our 1500# Sun Cat + trailer and gear. We have to be near 2300#. It tows like it's not even there, plenty of highway power, ramp pulling capacity and stopping ability with out brakes. I do lock out overdrive even though it can handle the flat land down here the slightest grade and it will down shift. That will build transmission heat so I keep it locked out of overdrive.

Thanks Again

Tom L.

alsantini

I wonder if anyone knows why a HC comes with a 2 axle trailer with brakes and an Eclipse comes with a one axle trailer without brakes??  I thought these two fine sailboats were about the same weight.  I also thought that any boat/trailer over 2,000 lbs had to have brakes?  I do not find the need for them with the Acadia but having them would be a plus.  I will bet it is big bucks to convert over to a braking system.  Any idea?
Al

CaptRon28

Brakes - "I do not find the need for them with the Acadia".

First of all, a diesel HC and trailer actually weigh about 4300 pounds, maybe 150 less if you've got a 10 hp outboard. If the Eclipse is about the same size, then the weight of the boat should be fairly close to the approx 3300 pound HC weight. And, in most states, brakes are required on trailers with over 2,000 pound gvw. The 4 wheel drum brakes failed on my HC trailer about 3 years ago and I had trouble stopping it, even with a 6200 pound Chevy Avalanche in front. Nearly ran a red light in the process. An Acadia would have been in worse shape, maybe 100 feet on the other side of the red light, assuming you avoided the 18 wheeler that came thru while you were crossing.
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"

alsantini

So, I guess the answer lies in additional weight of the HC.  I figured that the two boats were about the same weight (without the diesel option.  I looked up the weight requiring brakes and found most States require above 3000 and the Eclipse is obviously not over 3000 even with everything on board.  My previous boat was a Precision 21 and it was heavier than my Eclipse and even it did not come from the factory with brakes.  I still find it hard to believe that the HC without a diesel is over 3,000 and the Eclipse is listed at 2200.  But I guess it is what it is.  When I mentioned that I did not feel the need for brakes on my Acadia, I really was not given the choice since the factory did not put brakes on the trailer.  I have had panic stops with the Acadia and the Eclipse and was very pleased with the stopping ability.  Enough said....

CaptRon28

Concerning trailer brakes, every state is different. Minimum weights run from all trailers to 3,000 pounds or more. Same thing applies to how many axles must have brakes. Could be zero, one or all. I suggest that you look at the attached list. Note that if you drive thru any state then you may have to satisfy their requirements as well as your home state. Note that even if you satisfy the law, you may not wind up with a safe tow. As I mentioned previously, I had trouble stopping a two axle Horizon behind a 6,000+ pound Avalanche when the trailer's drum system failed.

http://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-brakes/
Ron Marcuse
2007 Horizon Cat (no name yet)
2008 Telstar 28 "Tri-Power"