a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Anyone bought new Genoa sail?

Started by alsantini, November 30, 2015, 02:37:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

I am wondering if anyone here has purchased a new Genoa sail?  and if Yes, what size did you get?  It seems like the stock sail was advertised as a 125% and yet the parts list shows a replacement sail as a 115%.  Probably does not make that much of a difference but I want the max that I can put on the boat.  One of the sailmakers calls it a 105%.  Does any of the literature give real dimensions for I, J, P, E?  I do not have all my literature handy so I cannot check it and I cannot seem to find real dimensions on line.  Thanks guys.      Al

Vectordirector

Standby, let me go check my paperwork.  In the mean time, call Doyle, they made yours, didn't they?  Or order one from the factory and pick it up on your way down.  :)
Beautiful day on the water, there were 3 suncats out and about a half dozen others.  I was on Arthur's Cape Dory.  10kts of wind, sunny and 78.  Perfect.  Hadn't been out in an week.  I needed that.  

Vec
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Vectordirector

Ok here is what I have.  I have a copy of an original printed Eclipse brochure, a copy of which someone posted here a while back, and also this site:   http://www.gisails.com/boats/compac/eclipse/  which both say it is a 115% genoa.  As does the current parts list on the Com-Pac site.  Guess 115 it is.  I have a pdf of the sales brochure if you want me to send it to you.  It doesn't have any sail plan dimensions.  My sails are "Airforce", they seem to have held up well over 10 years.  Think they are using Doyle now.  

Vec
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

Judy B of Judy B Hyde Sails rendered the original brochure and based on measurements believes it to be a 120%.  I have sent the pic to Bryan and CaptRon.  Anyone else who might want it for their Eclipse file PM me with your E Mail and I will send it to you.  I also have files of the Eclipse drawing and the Com Pac emblem should anyone want to have a T shirt, sweatshirt, blankee, or perhaps underwear embroidered. LOL   I can see it now.  Everyone drops their drawers to reveal an Eclipse drawing across their butt....  Maybe NOT.

Vectordirector

Thanks, perhaps the brochure is incorrect.   Are you going to get a new one?  Which loft?  Let us know if you find any dimension numbers. 

Please don't assume that everyone wears underwear!  You might be surprised, going commando is very popular amongst the younger generation, or so I hear.

Vec

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Judy B Hyde Direct

Hi All,

Based on a recent email I got from Gerry Hutchins, owner of Com-Pac, the rig dimensions for the Com-Pac Eclipse are as follows:

P - 19.67
E - 8.83
I - 19.5
J - 7.25

The drawing from the brochure currently on the Com-Pac website shows a 120% genoa.  But maybe the drawing is a little off compared to what they are currently selling.   In either case, there isn't a whole lof of difference between a 120% and a 115%.  Any sail maker can work out the details for you, and fit it exactly to your needs, depending on how high you want the tack and the clew, and where your genoa tracks are located.   If you want a copy of the drawing I sent Al, feel free to email me.

As an avid trailer sailor, I personally think the Eclipse is a sweet little 21 footer :)

Regards,
Judy B
Sailmaker
HydeSailsDirect.com

kickingbug1

judy, can i get the dimensions of a 100 jib for an 87 (not a com-pac) catalina capri 18?
oday 14 daysailor, chrysler musketeer cat, chrysler mutineer, com-pac 16-1 "kicknbug" renamed "audrey j", catalina capri 18 "audrey j"

Judy B Hyde Direct

Quote from: kickingbug1 on December 01, 2015, 04:15:27 PM
  judy, can i get the dimensions of a 100 jib for an 87 (not a com-pac) catalina capri 18?

Kicking,

Check your private messages.  I sent you the dimensions for a Capri 100% hank-on jib as they were originally built by the factory.  But not all jibs need to be built to the original dimensions. some folks want the clew higher or lower, or want the tack higher or lower.   And some folks prefer a 110% or 115% which can also be fitted to the Capri due to the genoa track location.   If you have modified the tracks or have added a furler, your sailmaker can build something that matches the new deck hardware and that fits your boat. 

Regards,
Judy B
Judy B