a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Compass rebuild vs. replacement

Started by Bullseye22, October 08, 2015, 07:34:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullseye22

I am looking at replacing the bulkhead compass on my CP23, it appears to be original to the boat.  Has anyone sent away their compass to be rebuilt instead of purchasing a new unit?  If so, how do the costs compare?

deisher6

Hey Bullseye22:
I had a pedestal compass that unreadable.  I called a repair place (from Google search) it was not economically repairable.  Purchased a Ritchie Navigator for about $350 two years ago.  It lost most of its fluid.  Sent in in and they repaired it  for the cost of postage to the factory.  I have the general idea that $300 is about the break even repairable compass.

regards charlie

Vipersdad

I replaced my factory compass on my CP-19 II this summer.  I had a long talk with the people at Viking Compass and the original was not repairable.

I bought a Ritchie Venture SR-2 Bulkhead Mount from them.  I am very happy with it so far.  I had to enlarge the hole on the port side cockpit bulkhead.  I used a fine tooth blade in my scroll saw and then finished with a small sanding drum in my Dremel.  I will hook up the power wire for the light after I install my new fuse panel.

V.
s/v  "MaryElla"   Com-Pac 19 / II  #436
Iceboat "Red Bird"--Polar Bear 10-Meter, Built 1953

Lake Winnebago, Lake Mendota, Lake Namakagon, Lake Superior.

"To Hutch, Gerry, Buck, and Clarkie--Who made it so much fun.".....Robert F. Burgess, Author-Handbook of Trailer Sailing 1984

Restharrow

Depends on what's wrong with the compass.  If it's loss of fluid and there's no fill port, there is a possible solution.  Sometimes it's the loss of fluid which makes the compass card tilted/ erratic. I've used a heated awl to make a small hole in an inconspicious spot. Topped off the fill with mineral oil and sealed the hole with the heater awl to melt the plastic over the opening.  Seems to work for me.  Besides if if's not repairable what's there to lose by trying.

Steve
CP25
Lake Champlain
CP 25
Lake Champlain, Vt. and coast of Maine
FaceBook RestHarrow Farm and Boatworks

redfishnc

I have the Ritchie Navigator.  it was leaking and I contacted the factory.  It was very close to 135-145 and they completely rebuild.  Looked brand new when I got it back, about 4 weeks.  They replaced the globe and seals, I was thoroughly happy.  No one does it better than the factory was my feeling.