Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Watch those fuses in your Eclipse

Started by alsantini, November 24, 2015, 10:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alsantini

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIyIsUgSw5Y

This video is posted by a fellow automotive teacher and should be required viewing for anyone with a boat that has fuses.  Ah, like an Eclipse maybe??

Really cool and important info...

Al

captronr

Wow, scary video! 

Might one expect that "cheaper fuses" (he mentioned high quality) will blow sooner, or even scarier, LATER at higher amps????

Other thing that might be a factor (not sure which way it would trend):  Tester is likely using a short run of wires with good connections.  In our boats with less than pristine connectors, and longer wire runs, not sure whether a fuse would blow sooner or last even to higher amps.

Good thing to ponder.

And since you brought it up, I didn't get a chance to study the fuse panel in our eclipse.  Are they fuses or circuit breakers and think I saw a button to push (to reset)? 

Appreciate any guidance anyone can give me about the eclipse electrical panel.   

PS. I did find out the stereo unit in ours does work, though I need to download a manual so I know how to select cabin/cockpit speakers.

Thks.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain

alsantini

Amps is amps.  Doesn't matter whether the run is 1 foot or 20 feet, if it is designed to blow at 20 amps, when 20 is achieved it "should" blow.  That being said, the longer the run the more the resistance of the wires, and the greater the voltage drop along those wires and the corresponding loss in current.  It is for this reason that the size of the wire is proportional to the amount of current flowing and the length of the conductors.  More current or longer wires = larger wires.
My Eclipse has fuses.  I would assume yours too but no guarantees.  Have you found anything that does not function as advertised Ron?
The best of Thanksgiving to you and your lovely wife.

Vectordirector

Yikes!  Question:  Can anything on an Eclipse draw 10 amps?  If so, wouldn't it require an inline fuse near the battery anyway?  You guys know more about 12V systems than I do. What exactly is the doomsday scenario here?  Fire due to melted wires?  Next time I have the boat off the lift I'll take a closer look at that panel.  I have a battery in the boat but really don't use it.  It worked last time I plugged in my tiller pilot.  

Vectordirector
2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

alsantini

I think the answer is unknown based on differences in what we have in our individual boats.  All I have are some lights.  One in the cabin, one on the bow, one on the mast and one on the stern.  So why I have 2 - 12 volt batteries is beyond me.  However someone might have a set of cabin fans, a amplified stereo system, a tiller pilot, search light, VHF Radio etc.
The distance from the battery to the fuse panel is really short - couple of feet at the most and I am not sure if there is a main fuse at the battery.  In theory, a large fuse, basically for short circuit protection should be very close to the battery in the main B+ feed to the fuse panel.  Once at the panel the circuits are individually fused and well protected.  Remember fuses are designed to protect the wiring in the circuit, not the electrical device on the fuse.  The size of the wire and length determines the current carrying capacity.  The fuse is supposed to be the weakest link and blow before the wire gets hot and possibly causes a fire.
Jeff Parks video is intended to remind us all that good quality fuses can save the circuit.  Using Walmart as your source of "quality" fuses will eventually cause problems.  Get your fuses at an automotive supply house like a NAPA or a CARQUEST that supplies the trade and the protection will be correct and function as designed.

captronr

Al,

Only thing not working (and it might be and we just missed it) is the aft white light.  Of course, not having the mast raised, don't know if those lights work or not. 

With the bummed kneecap, I haven't crawled around on it much.  Did scrub the teak clean, and have received the sealer, but put some tarps over the boat and moved it to storage. 

Not really sure, but there are two small shamrocks on the hull sides which appear to me to be painted on.  I managed to get the MN stickers off the bow, but need to get a heat gun to tackle the names on the boat sides. 

Chari suggested that if those are painted on, we might have to affix our boat name over the shamrock.

Kids are "helping" us pick names; so far things like:
Gimpy
Kneecaps
Limpy McGimp
Sir Limps A Lot
Festus (from Gunsmoke)
Grandpa Gimpalong
Captain Cast

Are kids great?    Have a great holiday.
Ron
"When the world ends, I want to be in KANSAS, because its 20 years behind the times."  Plagarized from Mark Twain