a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Almost lost the top bail on the mast today

Started by Peter Dubé, November 22, 2015, 04:30:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Dubé

I sail today in some pretty heavy wind today. Stormy. The thought of reefing crossed my mind.....  I have not referred my boat yet. I really need to practice that BEFORE I really need to reef!

Anyway, after print the boat on the lift and getting every thing covered and closed up, I just napped to look at the top of my mast to see this.

Lucky I did not lose the bail. The bail is all bent to hell. I'm suggesting that everyone check their rigging once in awhile.

My lucky day as it could have been worse.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

capt_nemo

Peter,

Consider using Nylock (locking) Nuts on all the mast bolts.

And, as you mentioned, check the standing rigging periodically, not only VISUALLY (fasteners) but also MANUALLY for proper stationary position or freedom of movement (lubrication).

Glad it wasn't a more serious incident.

capt_nemo

Tom L.

You my friend are a lucky cat'n. Nemo is spot on, all bolts on the mast should have nylock nuts. They also need to be looked at after a few years for sun rot of the insert.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Peter Dubé

I'm assuming the lost nut was a nylock as all the remaining nuts are nylocks. Maybe time to replace them all.

Question, if, indeed, the locking material failed in the sunlight, would a mechanical locking washer be better?. I'll try googling this.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Tom L.

I don't think so. The split washers/lock washer needs to be crushed so that it retains spring tension. That may crush the mast section.  Nylocks are the answer so if I were you I would replace them all. Cheap insurance.

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

nicktulloh

Perhaps do what I did on my new Ida rudder. The mounting bolts that came with were simple nylocs. I replaced them with 1/2" longer bolts, drilled the ends and pinned them. I used to roadrace motorcycles and this was standard practice and required for many locations on the bike.

Here's an example of the jig I use ....  http://pitposse.com/mebodrjig.html

Peter Dubé

In putting the bail back on the mast, I discovered what may have caused the failure. I believe the bolt used is too short. 

So, back to the hardware store to get the next size longer bolt.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

suznhenz

I have a 2006 Suncat and I don't have a bail at the top of my mast- is that right, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Sue

nicktulloh

Quote from: Peter Dubé on November 25, 2015, 11:39:56 AM
So, back to the hardware store to get the next size longer bolt.

Peter

Peter,

We were taught that as long as the bolt is flush or better with the nyloc, it's good. In other words, your picture shows a correctly installed nyloc.

Remember that you should only use a nyloc nut once.

There's other ways to ensure retention. Double nutting, loctite, lock washers, drilling and

Nickpinning or safety wiring.

Tom L.

Quote from: suznhenz on November 25, 2015, 12:57:10 PM
I have a 2006 Suncat and I don't have a bail at the top of my mast- is that right, or am I missing something?

Thanks,
Sue
Sue, I think Com Pac used at least two different methods to attach mast hardware. My 2001 Sun Cat has tangs riveted to the mast with S.S. rivets. Each tang has several rivets.

Tom L.