a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Sail stop

Started by carry-on, March 01, 2017, 11:29:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

carry-on

Last Sunday while moving the sail slugs above the mast gate, I fumbled the stop. It could have fallen into the cockpit or cabin but apparently it heard "swim call". That's not what I said!
I'm considering a leash for the replacement. About 18 inches of 40 pound fishing line attached to the stop with a buntline hitch and secured to the gooseneck.
Anyone have a workable method of saving a dropped sail stop?

$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

deisher6

Hey Carry-on:
In my experience they usually bounce once on the deck before hitting the water.  I keep two in the sail track.
regards charlie

Potcake boy

You just have to turn lemons into lemonade - make it a sacrifice to Davy Jones ceremony, and drink some rum.
Ron
Pilot House 23 - GladRags
Punta Gorda Florida

A mouse around the house - but much hotter on the water

relamb

I did exactly as you suggested, some fishing line tied to the gooseneck and the sail stop.  Worked fine.  Although I think I had 100lb test line handy.
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

brackish

After sending three of those ten buck sailstops to the drink (the 23 coach roof is shaped perfectly for a one bounce full gainer), this is what I did.  About $4 McMaster Carr IIRC.

carry-on

Thanks to all for the input. I'm feeling better after the rum!
$UM FUN TOO

CP-16 Hull# 2886

NateD

After seeing the tip somewhere I purchased some stainless steel shark leader and crimp sleeves off Amazon to make lanyards, but that generally requires a hole to feed it through, can't tie a buntline in it.

BruceW

Quote from: brackish on March 02, 2017, 01:53:39 PM
After sending three of those ten buck sailstops to the drink (the 23 coach roof is shaped perfectly for a one bounce full gainer), this is what I did.  About $4 McMaster Carr IIRC.

I like your solution, Brackish.

I also want a real mastgate that is maneuverable.

Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23

Salty19

My sailstop usually clangs, pings and bangs around like a pinball before the great fall, but a single bounce has occurred as well.

I've had the parts to do Brackishs' mod for sometime. Maybe this year I will get around to it, if I can muster the courage to drill that hole correctly.  Sure beats replacing these $&()@ sailstops every time your in a hurry.
"Island Time" 1998 Com-pac 19XL # 603