a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Tack slug was coming out of mast groove

Started by Peter Dubé, November 05, 2015, 06:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Dubé

I was out sailing today and noticed that the tack quick pin was not connected properly. It was not all the way through both sides of mast slide. Then I noticed that the slug/slide was coming out of the mast groove!. It was half in / half out. I could not force it back in the groove. I keep all the slides raised up near the hinge, held up by the long pin.

What a great boat to work on!. I anchored, lowered the mast, took apart the hinge and put everything back together, all while anchored.

Anyway, my question, the groove in the mast near the hinge is bent open larger than the rest off the mast.  Is it supposed to be?. If not, can I take a mallet and storage it out?. Thanks!. Peter

Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Tom Ray

No, it's not supposed to be that way. This is exactly what the infamous Long Pin is supposed to prevent. You pin the gaff boom slide down below the hinge prior to lowering the mast to make SURE it does not find its way into the hinge during that operation.

If it does find its way to that spot and you lower the mast, the stainless fitting is far stronger than the aluminum mast and will bend it.

You can bend it back. Whether that's a good idea or not is another question. I don't know the answer.

capt_nemo

The groove in the mast is supposed to be the same width over its entire length. That is why bending on and removing the mainsail on a Sun Cat is a bit of a chore and most folks leave it on once bent on.

I hope you are not holding the sail slide slugs up above the hinge at all times with the LONG PIN. The slides should all be free to move down into the lower mast stub for storage BEFORE folding the mast down. This would also defeat the purpose of the LONG PIN which is to organize and hold all lines out of harm's way with boom and gaff goosenecks BELOW the hinge.

I'm only guessing, but it appears that there are at least two possible reasons for the distortion. First, a previous Owner may have intentionally forcibly widened the mast grooves above and below the mast joint for some purpose, such as ease in bending on and removing the mainsail. Second, the mast may have been lowered without organizing lines and fixing into storage position with the LONG PIN, which goes through the bottom holes on each side of the hinge, and the lines, boom gooseneck, or gaff gooseneck got in the way forcing some distortion. The dents and scars on the mast groove suggest gooseneck METAL forcing AGAINST groove METAL over a period of time to cause such damage. The facing hinge edges also show dents and distortion caused by METAL AGAINST METAL.

YES, definitely do what you can to straighten or narrow the groove edges to permit the proper operation of sliding slugs down into lower mast stub, proper operation of BOTH sliding goosenecks down into the lower mast stub, and proper use/operation of the LONG PIN.

capt_nemo

Catawampus

I agree with Tom and Nemo. Your picture shows damage done by lowering the mast with the gaff or boom gooseneck too high. When searching for a used Sun Cat several years ago, I saw this damage more than once. Not everyone understands the proper use of the long pin.

Eagleye

Peter,
The Eclipse also has a similar Mastendr system.  When I purchased mine the slot was actually ripped out.  Check out the link to see what I had to do to repair it.

-Allen

http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=5406.0
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42

Peter Dubé

Repair done already!. Strong block and mallet!.  Some tapping and persuasion. It looks much better. Slugs will no longer escape that way!

Before I lower the mast, everything in the groove is lowered!. Those damn PO's!

So pleased that I was able to close the gap without something breaking!!

As always, thanks to all that replied!!!

Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Peter Dubé

We are so lucky to have the support of the builder. I wrote to Hutchins yesterday about my mast and already have a reply!. They are providing exceptional customer service!. Here it is what I received from them:

Hi,

No, your mast should not be flared out like that. That usually happens when
someone lowers the mast without having the gaff pushed below the long pin. I
would suggest trying to tap them back into place using a piece of wood and a
hammer. Go for a sail and see how it works out. If slider comes out again or
you feel those areas are weak or they cracked we have stainless plates we
use to build up and strengthen the mast groove. See attached. The plates are
$10 a piece + shipping.

Matt

Hutchins Co. Inc.
Parts Manager
matt@com-pacyachts.com

Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Craig

Honor the Long Pin! Used as intended it will prevent a lot of problems! Excellent repair job! Can serve as a model for those who will inevitably wind up in the same place. Easy to do. I almost did!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

capt_nemo

Peter,

Congratulations on your successful "DO IT YOURSELF" (DIY) repair! Hope all works well now.

All hail the LONG PIN!

Sail Safely.

capt_nemo

Peter Dubé

Thanks Allen,. That link shows an excellent repair. Nice job!. I was lucky that the groove was intact, no pieces were missing. I was even luckier when I was able to get them pretty much back in place.

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

rogerschwake

I don't know about everyone else but it took more than a couple times of stepping the mast to remember to have every thing below the hinge. This being almost the end of my third year I don't remember not having that problem this year, but maybe it did happen. Bending the mast back into shape seems to help you remember, so give it some time and you will remember or get good at repairing the damage. It's something that almost everyone does a time or ?, so repair  it and get out there and sail. I'm still hoping for a couple of days in the upper 40's and sunshine to sail here in Iowa yet this year.

ROGER

Eagleye

Quote from: Peter Dubé on November 06, 2015, 07:52:00 PM
Thanks Allen,. That link shows an excellent repair. Nice job!. I was lucky that the groove was intact, no pieces were missing. I was even luckier when I was able to get them pretty much back in place.

Peter

When I did my DIY repair 3 years ago I didn't realize Hutchins had a repair for that.  It looks like I was on the right track...(pun intended).

-Allen
"Madame Z"   2006 Eclipse    #42