News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Ribbon Cutting on TSCA Boat House Clark Mills' original SunCat on display!

Started by hoddinr, October 21, 2015, 05:07:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoddinr

The Gulf Coast (of Florida) Traditional Small Craft Association is holding a ribbon cutting for the new Boat House, on Saturday (Oct 24th) at Heritage Park  at 11:45.

They are featuring Clark Mills designs and have just moved the original wooden Clark Mills SunCat into the boat shop!

Come out and enjoy the festivities!

http://www.pinellascounty.org/heritage/

Ron Hoddinott

Tom Ray

I saw pics of Sun Cat hull number zero on Facebook and it looked great. I once asked him whether they would bring it to the Sun Cat Nationals but he gave me a funny look and just said no. I think he was trying to figure out whether I was kidding or stupid. I wasn't kidding.

Although Clark Mills is best known for his Optimist pram design, I'm glad to see him also remembered for his classiest boat. The Sun Cat lines will still look great to people in a hundred years and it will still be a nice boat to sail. Quite an achievement!

Craig

Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

ddg23

Where would one find pictures of the original Suncat?  I would be most interested in seeing them.
Thanks for any help
Dan

Bob23

I was only on a Suncat once this year at CLR and was totally impressed? I'd love to have one. I think the SC is the new mainstay of the Compac lineup. But that's just my opinion.
Bob23

Vectordirector

2005 Eclipse #23  Sold

Tom Ray

The original Sun Cat. Museum founder Mike Jones told me this boat had a 30 foot mast and 190 sq ft of sail. Centerboard but no keel. He said it was almost magically fast for its size.

Removable hard top but I'm not sure what was supposed to happen to the centerboard pennant when sailing without the top.

Christopher

Tom,
  Thank-you for providing the photos.  I was hoping to see what the boat looked like.

Chris

Tom Ray

Capt Nemo is sure to like seeing that Clark Mills thought a Sun Cat should have a midship cleat.

HideAway

We couldn't make it yesterday but will for the folk fest in Jan.  Years ago a friend of mine owned  a Suncat until her new husband sold it- Last I heard she was looking for another Suncat but had not remarried .
SV HideAway Compac 23 Hull #2
Largo, Florida
http://www.youtube.com/SVHideAway
http://svhideaway.blogspot.com/

deisher6

Hey Ron:
Thanks for the pictures.
The first boat that I ever sailed and in fact learned the hard way how to sail was a Mill's one design, Windmill.  Our hull number was 150.  I see on the association website that they are now in the 5000's.  It was a fast, plaining hull, dagger board, sloop without a spinnaker.  It was one heck of a boat to learn on, but what an adventure for a 13 year old kid and his old man. 

The first time that we launched it we put up the mast after we launched it!  I sailed it quite a few times with a friend before he suggested that we run a jib sheet on each side of the mast.  Up till that point we had been throwing both lines from side to side when we tacked.

Some things you just can't read about in the books.

Thanks again.

regards charlie

Tom Ray

The McKay Creek Boat Shop has an Optimist pram, a Mills-built Snipe from the 1940's named Honey, the prototype Sun Cat, and a Windmill.

deisher6

Yup! that is a Windmill.  Thanks so much for that picture....there was not much changed to hull number 150.  I installed a hiking strap along the bottom center line. Notice the wear on the deck from hiking.

Thanks again
regards charlie

ddg23