a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Setting up a trailer

Started by bobp, September 24, 2015, 09:00:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bobp

Looking for any info on trailering a 27. I am modifing a trailer and am trying to figure out where to position the axles for the correct tong weight. I have 3 axles and from looking at the only picture I can find the boat is slightly forward. Trying to get about 6 to 800 lbs tong weight. Specifically looking for where is the center of the boat is in relation to the center axle and the distance from the center axle to the hitch ball receiver. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Robert

deisher6

Hey bob: I would recommend that you contact Scott at the SailBoat Co.  He trailered over 30 C-27's up to the Jacksonville, NC area.  I think that he used a regular car trailer, but he will be glad to share with you.

http://www.ipass.net/sailboat/

regards charlie

BobK

http://s778.photobucket.com/user/bobknapp47/media/bobs%20phone%20011_zpsbx7c3q5f.jpg.html?filters[user]=104525125&filters[recent]=1&sort=1&o=0

I never could figure out how to post a picture.  The link above is my 27 on a 3 axle trailer.  The keel is about centered over the axles.  I had about 400# tongue weight.

BobK

relamb

I tow mine on a 14,000 gross weight flatbed, which I also use for a carhauler and my tractor.
The cradle came with the boat, probably from the factory.  The cradle is 10' long.
The first pictures (pre-bottom paint) the cradle was a little too far forward.  I had a little more tongue weight than I wanted, but it worked.
The pictures after the bottom paint is where I set the cradle now.
http://midtechv.com/wp3/?easy-photo-album=compac-27-trailer 
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Patrick

Quote from: bobp on September 24, 2015, 09:00:56 PM
Looking for any info on trailering a 27. I am modifing a trailer and am trying to figure out where to position the axles for the correct tong weight. I have 3 axles and from looking at the only picture I can find the boat is slightly forward. Trying to get about 6 to 800 lbs tong weight. Specifically looking for where is the center of the boat is in relation to the center axle and the distance from the center axle to the hitch ball receiver. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Robert

Here is a pic of our "rig"  I can get more detailed photo's and dimensions later this weekend.  I'd recommend 800-900 lbs of tongue weight.  Of course I have a dual axel as well.

http://www.capri22.net/pgudat/IMG_0717.jpg
CP 27/2 - #169 - Sagacity - Peoria Heights, IL

relamb

pgudat - do you launch and retrieve from that trailer?  I see what appears to be a tongue extension, how does the launching work out?
I originally thought I didn't want a dedicated boat trailer, I use the flatbed for other things.   ...but I get tired of scheduling appointments for the travellift, as well as not being able to put in when and where I would like.
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Dogboy

Pictures rather than links from above:

1990 23/3D - my fathers boat - Sold
2010 Sunday Cat - Sold
2008 Compac 25 - Sold
Current: Hobie 16 & Hobie TI -
Looking for a Horizon Cat or HDC

BobK

Thank you for downloading the picture.  It is  above my pay grade how to do it.
Looking at the two pictures I think  I need to get a bigger car.

BobK

bobp

Thanks for all the replies. I have a general idea as to where to position the boat in relation to the trailer. The boat will be lowered onto the trailer with lifting straps still in place for support. Then I can check tongue weight and take measurements for jacking pads. The boat will then be lifted off and I'll take the trailer back home and weld supports in place for jacking pads. I do still have questions though.
1. I assume the wires in the mast are cut and connectors spliced in for re connection later. 
2. Planing to do the Florida Keys. Anyone have any suggestions as to a marine to use for lifting off the trailer
3. Have never taken mast down can someone walk me thru that process. Planing on having it lifted off.
4. Was planing on not getting any wide load permits and chancing it. Will be traveling Maryland to Florida.
Thanks all Robert

relamb

I will be installing a hinged mast base in order to see if I can raise/lower the mast myself.  So far I've always used a travellift to launch with their crane to raise/lower the mast.
My mast wiring has connectors inside the mast base.  Unfortunately, somethings messed up with the wiring and I can't get in there to check the connections.
I think I would prefer the cables exit the mast at the base and plug into connectors on the deck.  a tradeoff, because they could get snagged, but they'd be accessible for testing.  maybe with the hinged mast base I can tilt it back some and get at the wiring easier.
I have trailered my boat from Lake Michigan to Tampa and back with no wide load permit.  Also another similar sized boat from Lake Erie to Tampa.  No issues.
Passed lots of police, although so far I've not passed any of the motor carrier enforcement guys.
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Tney88

Hi, Rick,

I had a local stainless shop build me a hinged mast base, but I didn't have time before sailing season this year to get it installed.  It will add about an inch to the height of the mast, so I need to trim an inch off the mast extrusion so my shrouds don't wind up being too short.  If you want, send me an email address and I will send you pics of the base that they built for me, it came out looking really good.  I still have to build a mast crutch that can be extended upwards to get the angle of the mast high enough to start winching it up to vertical, as the one I built originally just carries it level with the pulpits.

I already made the wiring conversion and brought all three cables (lights, antenna, and anemometer) out the side of the mast a few inches up from the base, and then installed quick connections.  I've had it that way for a couple of seasons, and no problems with snagging, although I agree the risk is there.  I had to re-route the cables underneath the cabin roof, bringing them forward of the bulkhead and drilling holes for them to pass up thru the roof.

I've trailered from San Francisco Bay to Eugene, OR, and then two trips between Eugene OR and Anacortes WA without any wide load permit or signage.  I've even taken it thru a weigh station at the CA-OR border for a boat inspection.  No issues (knock on wood).  Some friends have suggested putting a wide load sign on the back, but my theory is that would call attention to the width as well as be an admission that I know that it's overwidth....I'd rather try pleading ignorance if I do get stopped!  Honestly, the wide point is so high up in the air, and so hard to measure, that I'm banking on no officials noticing.

Terry Ney
CP 27 "Paradiso"
Veneta, OR
Terry Ney
CP 27 "SV Paradiso"
Veneta, OR

bobp

Can anyone out there give me the keel length and width at the very bottom. The width at the widest point. My boat is still in the water
Thanks
Robert