a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Slug protectors on sail

Started by Peter Dubé, October 26, 2015, 09:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Dubé

I have ordered a new sail from a local loft.  I noticed plastic slug protectors on the luff of my current sail.  Current sail maybe the original sail.

Are these slug protectors still provided in the OEM sails?  Now im worried that I should have purchased my sails from the current supplier of the sails.  Are there other special features or options that I should make sure the new sail has?  Is there a specification sheet for the sail? 

Thanks!

Peter

Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

Catawampus

I think that clear plastic is there to reduce chaffing on the sail cloth sewn over the bolt rope. I've seen it on other boats, like a 1980's Catalina 30. I've seen more sails without it than with it. My new sail doesn't have it.

MacGyver

In all my years working on boats, I can steadfastly say that the clear protectors arent needed.

When you ordered the new sail they should have asked bolt rope or slug, and the same question for the boom.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.

Catawampus

The Sun Cat sail MUST have sail slugs in the luff where the sail is attached to the mast. A bolt rope is normal and fine for the boom and gaff. My original sail from the Air Force sail loft had 4 sail slugs in the luff. My new sail from Super Sailmakers has 5 sail slugs in the luff.