a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Porthole repair on SunCat

Started by DanM, October 16, 2015, 08:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanM

A few weeks ago, I posted a question regarding broken porthole hardware. The port is secured by three plastic spinners that swing up and latch the window. The spinners swing on pins that are captured between a pair of tabs or "ears". These tabs had broken off on two spinners. There were responses that others had this same issue, so I am posting my solution.

The person who sold me the boat was so upset that he ordered a new porthole for me. My question was about removing,  replacing and caulking that whole assembly. In the end, however, rather than take on that daunting task, I devised a work-around by fabricating new tabs. They are made out of hardwood (I had some scraps of ipe, which is very hard and also dark in color so it blends a bit with the black plastic). These new blocks support a pin (cut from a stainless steel crochet hook) and are screwed in place with SS countersunk screws. This works great and I didn't have to tear the boat apart. I don't mind the look of a well-designed, honest repair, especially compared to the nightmare of tearing out the old porthole. It was not difficult to saw off the remains of the broken tabs (especially if you have a little flush-cut saw) and filing/scraping them flush. The blocks must be made accurately, so it requires a drill press and drill press vise. If anyone wants a drawing with the dimensions that I figured out, let me know and I can do that by measuring the extras that I made.
I've never before used photobucket nor posted pictures to this forum , but I am hopeful that this will work and show you what I did:

nreamer

~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

capt_nemo

Again, necessity is the mother of invention!

capt_nemo

Peter Dubé

Great looking repair job!. I hope my tabs break so that I can have mine look like yours!

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

rogerschwake

Had the same problem as you. Super glued mine back together and it has held for a year now. Really like your repair, will be coping you if I have any more problems.

ROGER

nreamer

They do look nice, but I would rather they stay intact, so I can spend my time sailing and enjoying my boat instead of fixing stuff!  That is why I bought the boat I bought!  I don't mind fixing things, but it would be a toss up for me. Replace with factory plastic, research and find aftermarket bronze fixtures, or repair existing.  As a new owner, I vote for "baby" existing working portholes and deal with that later.

neil
~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

capt_nemo

You do know the reason why those tabs break don't you?

It is because most folks do not understand how the all-round rubber porthole grommets work.

They work just like rubber "O" Rings - tighten down against them just enough to make a watertight seal. To go beyond that point causes the outer plastic frames to meet (touch) and then undue force is applied to the clasp mechanism causing something to "give", that is break.

As a boat ages the rubber porthole grommets tend to take a "set", loose their recovery properties, and get thinner. To seal properly, one feels that more tightening pressure is necessary. WRONG! At that point you should replace the porthole rubber grommets and try to treat the new ones more gently when tightening down.

Just my 2 cents worth of experience talking.

capt_nemo