- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Leaving Slip Problem

Started by dvhartley, September 20, 2006, 09:43:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dvhartley

I am trying to do this single handed.

Any suggestions would be helpful.

My 27 is next to Short finger pier with pilings at the end of each slip. Of course my propeller backs me to port. There are boats on both sides of the slip, and boats in slips behind my boat approx. 60 feet to the rear.

Boat faces east. The only way to exit is toward the North. Pier blocks south at approx 150 feet. Wind is coming strong from the north.

If try to back straight out under power stern turns to port, toward the north. Wind pushes bow south.

I have been backing halfway out. Let the wind push me against the south piling and back some more until I can push the piling by hand as hard as I can throwing the bow toward the north then run like hell to the stern, and go.

There has to be a better way.

Backing up is a nightmare in regard to trying to go into the slip stern first. That would be the ideal way to be and exit from the slip, but that is even harder to execute with a breeze blowing, and it usually is when I am at the helm, except when I  get ready to sail and it then stops or decreases.

Seriously, any suggestions would be appreciated.

spaul

DV,
I understand your situation completely. I hope someone else replies as I only have a couple of ideas at this moment.
1. Is it possible to back completely out of your little harbour, or at least to the point  where you can safely turn around? I currently do this myself as I am in an end slip with no room to turn around. One big hint, when you back out "DO NOT LET GO OF THE WHEEL", it will catch and bend the rudder post. I'm sure you know this as when backing the pressure can be quite strong on the rudder and the wheel.
2. Perhaps you can back out more slowly if windy from the North and let the wind blow your stern South. You might try going in neutral when about half way out and plan on the wind blowing your stern South.
3. Can you use a line on the windward piling to hold you off until you're most of the way out? THen slowly reverse, drift, reverse, drift while turning to starboard planning on the stern to swing before the wind catches your bow?
I'm sure you've tried all of these things but they are ideas I would try.
Please let us know if things improve for you.

Steve Paul
IM PAUL SIVE
cp27/2