News:

Howdy, Com-Pac'ers!
Hope you'll find the Forum to be both a good resource and
a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

CP19 motor mount issue/possible solution...

Started by mayrel, September 14, 2015, 07:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayrel

I have a problem with titling the motor up to the locked position running into the pulpit vertical railing with my 6hp Tohatsu.  There is an older post showing four rubber blocks with an aluminum plate installed on the motor mount block(where you actually secure the motor to the mount).  This seems to be the easiest solution; moves the motor aft enough to make raising/lowering and tilting easy.  My question is: if I install a solid piece of wood stock(2x lumber is actually 1.75" thick)this would move the motor aft enough to provide adequate clearance vice the rubber blocks, the result is the same.  Of course, wood will deteriorate, hence sealing the wood with epoxy and painting should preserve the wood.  However, some have reported the hard rubber motor mount plate have failed.  I've never seen this, but I suppose the only thing to do is tether the motor to the mount with a safety cable or chain?  Any suggestions on either of these ideas will be appreciated..

Elk River

I don't seem to have that problem on my 1985 19/2.  I lift the motor mount and then tilt the engine (5 h.p. Honda) one click and the prop and skeg are out of the water.  If there is much wave action, I can tilt the engine one more click to keep the prop from turning.  I will try and get a couple of photos of my set-up.

Elk River
Now the Mrs. Elk

marc

I had that same problem and used cutting board material I bought from this company:
The Cutting Board Company
www.cuttingboardcompany.com

The specific material I bought is here:
http://www.cuttingboardcompany.com/3-4-thick-white-cutting-board/

I used 3/4" thick material and doubled it up so the shim had a depth of 1.5" That was enough for my Nissan 6hp to clear the railing.
Here's a photo.

MacGyver

These guys have the right idea, on mine we added 1.5 inch HDPE I had at work, I machined it with wood tools to be super nice, and smooth, and then used every bolt hole to bolt it to the transom. Also added a 1/4 inch aluminum plate to the inside. BEEFY. My Tohatsu 6hp Ultra long shaft sits nicely now, and certain adjustments allows the engine to sit nicely back there free of hitting the stern rail.

I think I have 2 adjustments I am not able to do, but it doesnt limit me not using the 2 and also the engine is turned when up to one side. Frankly I love the way it is setup now, and the engine is stored out of the water easily like this, along with riding in the water nicely during use.

Mac
Former Harbor Master/Boat Tech, Certified in West System, Interlux, and Harken products.
Worked on ALL aspects of the sailboat, 17 years experience.
"I wanted freedom, open air and adventure. I found it on the sea."
-Alaine Gerbault.