a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Raw water impeller

Started by deisher6, November 02, 2015, 09:07:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

It has been about two years and 328 hours on the Universal 12 in Windrunner.  I try to change oil about every 100 hours or 6 months and check transmission fluid every year.  I do not think that I will change the transmission fluid this year, I did last year.

I decided that I needed to replace the raw water impeller.  It was in pretty good shape but I still replaced it since it was apart.  I will wait three years before I replace it again.

Fuel filters (2) have been changed yearly.

Any thoughts?

regards charlie

Betterdays

Don't forget the V belt.  Mine shredded and smoked as I was going under an open drawbridge going dead into a 15 knot wind.  The previous owner had the great sense to have a spare on board. I change impeller every other year and coolant every three. Never had a problem.

Stephen

BobK

Charlie,
I was going to change my impeller every 3 years BUT it did not make it past 2 1/2 years before coming apart.  Back on the 2 year replacement schedule.
BobK

relamb

I've had my CP27 two years and gone through two impellers.  The most recent one I noticed the temp gage going up, shut down the engine, and a plastic shopping bag floated up alongside the boat.  Pretty sure it had gotten stuck over the water intake and the suction held it until I killed the engine.  But it was too late, the impeller was shredded and I had to dig parts out of the pump housing and hose.   In other boats they seem to fail anyway if I don't change them in 3 years, so I carry two spare and will probably change them every two years, if they don't fail sooner.
One failed because the gasket on the inlet strainer was old and cracked, and developed an air leak so the engine started sucking air instead of water.  I bought a replacement perko strainer gasket, but you could probably make one a lot cheaper or use caulk.  If you clean out the strainer basket and don't get a perfect seal when you put the lid back on, You'll be in trouble, so check that and watch the temp gage every time you clean out the strainer.

As far as the belt, change out to a new one way before you need it, and keep the old one as a spare....because you know it fits!  I keep one tied up to the side bulkhead towards the front of the engine, where I see it every time I open the hatch to check other things.
My two cents!
Rick
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

deisher6

Thanks.....all good information.  It seems that we are pretty much in agreement  on what to do and keep records on preventive maintenance.

It is ALWAYS easier to change the stuff: belt, filters, impellers, etc. at the dock! 

reagards charlie