a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Rudder Bushings

Started by HeaveToo, January 08, 2016, 01:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HeaveToo

There has been talk about installing bushings in the rudder gudgeons on here.

You can order bushings from Compac.  They are $3.50 each.  I am going to order some from them.

There is a little play in my rudder system.  I am sure that it is just because of wear over time.  I don't have a drill press so I will be drilling this by hand.  Wish me luck!!!!

Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

brackish

If you have a Bearing and Supply close by, you might try them first.  I bought four bushings, got change for a ten and didn't have to pay shipping.  Where I live I kinda get burned on shipping from Hutchins.

HeaveToo

I don't have anything like that close by, that I know of.  Thanks for the suggestion though.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Tim Gardner

Heave, Try Lowes specialty fastener section about 2.50 /pr. 1/2?3/8 shoulder bushings
TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

Jon898

There's a post on this at http://cpyoa.geekworkshosting.com/forum/index.php?topic=2115.15/ .  I got the bronze bushings from the local hardware store (similar to Ace).

HeaveToo

My Lowes didn't carry it.  I have actually made a copy of the original post to use when I go to do my bushings.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

Jon898

I found mine at "Town and Country Hardware"...a small chain traditional hardware store here in NC similar to Ace.  Neither Lowes nor Home Depot were any use.  Tim Gardner's tip on the long drill bit from Harbor Freight (see second page of the link to the original thread) was also valuable in hand drilling the old bushings (and a bit of the aluminum castings) and keeping the two holes aligned.

Craig Weis

Factory rudder gudgeons are pre loaded with a plastic inserts that you'll be drilling out for the bronze bushings.

skip.