a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Mounting bimini track on SunCat

Started by suznhenz, October 15, 2015, 11:52:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suznhenz

Hi- I was ready to mount my bimini on my 2003 SunCat, and attempted to reach up inside the coaming to see how much room I had for nuts and washers and was surprised to find the answer is "None!". How did everyone mount their bimini track? Just screws and bedding compound? I don't want to drill a big hole for a stainless toggle and find there is no room for the toggle. Any voices of experience are VERY welcome here!! By the way, my bimini from Ameriseam is really nice! They ha all the measurements for the Suncat. I just went with aluminum tubing, but it is just the right size and very well made. I think $410, including putting zippers on all the pockets for the ribs, is a very fair price, and my cockpit cushions are gorgeous!

Sue

Peter Dubé

Hi.  I also will be ordering a bimini for my Sun Cat from Ameriseam.  I spoke/emailed them about installation.  They said that screws alone are all that is needed for mounting.

Peter D
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

suznhenz

Thanks- I should have just picked up the phone and talked to Ameriseam. Anyway, I picked up the stainless screws and will be installing the bimini today. Next step is to undo the hinge on the mast so I can put on the sail , then put the fancy sailboat brackets on our boat lift so Purrfect will be able to live on the lift.

Craig

Probably too late but if you use 3M 5200 to bed the tracks the will be really secure. The stuff is an unbelievable adhesive as well as bedding compound.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Peter Dubé

Craig,

Good suggestion for the 5200. It is a very good permanent polyurethane adhesive. Good choice for the bimini hardware. I'll put it on muy shopping list. Susan, did the bimini not come with fasteners?. Did they provide the sizes needed?. Thanks!

Peter
Compac Sun Cat
s/v Sun Daze
Vero Beach  FL

rogerschwake

Only use 5200 if your 100% sure there in the right place and you never want to remove them. Mine are fastened with #8 stainless sheet metal screws. These tracks are 16" long and each has 4 screws to hold them on. Good luck and enjoy your bimini on those sunny days.

ROGER

nreamer

"Only use 5200 if your 100% sure there in the right place and you never want to remove them."  

DITTO, MEGGA FREAKIN DITTOS!

Same with Red Loctite.  Just be sure before you commit...

This is what makes it "fun" drilling holes and making mods on our boats when we are not sure if we know if that is what we really, really want to do!   I like Nemos rule about not making permanent mods, but things like this require permanent holes -- somewhere.....  Have fun!

I am strongly considering a Bimini, so I will be asking you all later, where did you drill?  :-)

neil
~ 2010 Suncat ~
    ~  Frisky  ~

Craig

I am not a big 5200 fan under normal circumstances. In this application however, it will add additional strength to the installation. Screws in plain fiberglass are not very strong or durable as I have learned over the years (especially when subjected to stress). 5200 can be removed.It can be a pain but there are several products available to make it easier. Just Google "removing 5200".
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Bilge Rat

4200 is a nice compromise between strength and removability if you ever need to.  It's what I have used for mounting hardware on decks.
'09 Sun Cat, '06 Catalina 16.5, '00 Lido 14, '84 Holder 14

suznhenz

The bimini came with a track, but no screws and i didn't think to ask what to use to mount it- somehow thought it would require through-bolting with washers as backing plates. But, checking on line, it appears that 1" stainless screws is all that is required - with a removable bedding compound (Boat Life I believe is one, not 5200) for sealing any possible water leaks. I've been busy helping my son move into his new house, so haven't completed the job, but I think it won't be hard. I want to mount the track so that, when the bimini is moved all the way back, it is just in front of the gallows, but is still able to be moved far enough forward that it can be folded back and be stored behind the coaming so it will be out of the way when not being used.

Sue