a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

outboard shaft length

Started by suznhenz, September 07, 2015, 09:11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suznhenz

Another question: I have an outboard motor mount that I believe adjusts about 15". What is the best length shaft outboard to buy? I'm going to replace the 8 hp electric start Honda that came with the boat because it's so heavy and seems to be an overkill. I was thinking of the 6 hp Tohatsu SailPro because it comes in 20" and 25" shaft length and also can have a remote control added, if hanging over the stern to shift the engine becomes a real hassle. Has anyone else installed a remote on their outboard? If so, how did you like it and where did you put it? Any pictures?

Thanks again!

Sue

frank

My 4hp Yamaha is a standard 20in longshaft....and on the suncat is fine. The 25 would be great in some applications...but with the low stern of a suncat it's not needed and will only drag while in "up" position.

I had the extra long 25in 6hp Tuhatsu on my CP 25 and added remote. It worked well...but the new ones have the F-N-R on the front of the engine...far easier to reach than the older ones on the side. With the low stern on the suncat...may now be a waste of $$ as the shifter is so easy to get at
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Craig

I had the Tohatsu 6 20" on my Suncat. Was a great choice. I had the Powertiller remote controls (powertiller.com) which were fantasic. I cannot comment on the new shifter arrangement. The Powertiller controls mount(surprise!)on the tiller. Very convenient! The Powertiller site has pics and videos. Enjoy your Suncat, they are great little boats!
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Dave

The shift lever on the front of the Tohatsu has to be one of the great innovations!  Really no need for a remote.

Tom L.

I would get a long shaft motor. If you ever get into higher winds with chop you will appreciate the long shaft. Short shafts come out of the water in those situations just when you don't need issues. My motor tilts near horizontal so the prop doesn't drag in the water when up. the top of the engine does get really close to the transom when tiltted up. In some cases it mat be necessary to ad a spacer to the motor mount to move the whole assembly aft a little.

In my case the motor controls have been made handy with a little ingenuity. I made a throttle extension using PVC pipe split at the bottom and slipped over the existing throttle and finally tightened in place with a hose clamp. These are available commercially.  Fore the shifting I made this addition. My shift leaver is on the side of the motor and points nearly straight up. Reverse is back about 15 degree and forward is front about 15 degree. I slipped a small piece of PVC pipe over the lever about 10" long a set screw holds it in place. At the top I bolted another piece of pipe 90 degree so that it extends into the cockpit. All I have to do is sit in my normal steering position and pull the shifter back and forth as needed. When coming into the dock I keep the idle low and shift as required. Very much like an inboard sail boat.

Good Luck

Tom L.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

rogerschwake

My Suncat had a short shaft motor when I bought it used. It worked alright but if we were docking with me on the bow the engine would come out of the water. Replaced it with a 4 horse with 20' shaft. The 4 horse is all the power I should ever need and no problem with the prop coming out of the water at all. When the motor bracket is up and the motor tilted forward for sailing the motor is clear and does not hit the water. Good luck with your Suncat.

ROGER

Craig

The Sailpro standard shaft is longer than the regular Tohatsu 6 as I recall. The 25" shaft is referred to as "extra long". I had the 20" version which worked for me. Never had a problem with prop coming out of the water. Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer choice. A call to Compac may yield their recommendation.
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL

Rahn

I had the Sailpro with the 25 inch shaft on a prior Suncat and had no issues with it.