a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Critical C-27 repair

Started by deisher6, August 18, 2015, 11:46:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

The Admiral/Comptroller picked me up from the Arblemarle Plantation Marina yesterday so that I could make an appointment in New Bern today.  Fortunately just after its last use before this break in Windrunner's Albemarle Loop Cruise, the seat in the head gave away.  I think that it was original parts.

The hinge broke on the lower ring unit causing stabilization and centering problems.

Solution, after careful measuring, disassembly and especially cleaning of the original, I found a cheap seat at Lowes that had SS hinges that matched the original set. For $24 bought the seat and used the hinges.  The screw pattern even matched.  I guess that some things never change.

I note that Defender has hinges listed for around $12-$22, with postage (and shipping time) the Lowes deal is pretty solid.

Not as exciting as having the throttle stuck wide open but none the less a critical problem.  

I may use the rest of the new seat for a picture frame.

regards charlie

Allure2sail

Hi Charlie:
I think I got my replacement seat at Home Depot....like you said some things just don't change. Been boat shopping recently, hope to end up with a bigger, newer ride soon.
S/V Allure
Swansea, MA

redfishnc

Allure,  I have the fever too.  What boats are you thinking about?

Allure2sail

Hi Charlie:
In order of preference:
1987 Catalina 30 (1987 or newer)
Catalina 310
Catalina 320
Pearson 31 or 303
Pearson 10 meter
Allure will be hitting the market soon with all the spare parts from the salvage boat.
Bruce
S/V Allure
Swansea, MA

Tim Gardner

Charlie,
I believe the nautical term for Comptroller  is  Purser. HaHa TG
Never Be Afraid to Try Something New, Remember Amateurs Built the Ark.  Professionals Built the Titanic (update) and the Titan Submersible.

deisher6

Hey All:
The Admiral Comptroller and Purser would very hard to get along with if I were to suggest another boat.  But if i did mention one it would be an Island Packet 27 or better yet 30'ish.  I would look for something with a finer entry forward and less flatfish bottom.  In any chop and the '27 really pounds even with a full water tank & chain rode.  This being said I gained 1/2 mile in 3 miles passing an O'Day 34 yesterday beating in a 10-15mph wind.  More surprising was that I was using a cut down 110 jib that is about a 90 on top of that it needed to be sheeted another foot forward to balance the foot and the leech tension.  But that was just outside of New Bern, I couldn't have done it in the Pamlico earlier that day because of the chop.

regards charlie

capt_nemo

deisher6,

Having owned and cruised an Island Packet 35 for 10 years, and being familiar with the IP27 I would NOT RECOMMEND the IP27!

Although commodious down below, the IP27 is not a good sailing vessel. An older IP31 or even an IP32 would be a far better choice IMHO.

capt_nemo