a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

8 HP Electric start Honda

Started by suznhenz, September 06, 2015, 11:05:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

suznhenz

Hi- I recently bought a 2003 Suncat, which came with an 8 HP Honda with electric start. I am concerned that it is really too big for the boat and I believe that it is a short shaft. I also have a nearly new 2.5 HP Suzuki 4 stroke, but it's a short shaft, which I bought for a inflatable dinghy. I'm going to have the 8HP serviced by a mechanic, but an very nervous about using it. Just the weight of the motor on the transom, and lifting it out of the water on the Garelick motor mount concern me.  What do you experience Suncat sailors think?

Thanks,

Susan Henzy
Hudson, Fl

frank

That is definitely overkill for a Suncat.

4HP is more than enough....and far lighter.

If the factory upgraded the mount...it is probably "OK"...but still heavy and overkill.

My 4HP Yamaha seldom see's over 1/2 throttle.

But....electric start would seem a luxury  :-)
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

hoddinr

Agree it's overkill.  You bought it with that motor.  Do you really need the electric start?

My Yamahammer 4 hp pushes her to hull speed at half throttle and only weighs about 45 pounds.

Ron

suznhenz

No, I really don't think I need the electric start. Now, I'm going to show my ignorance about outboards-do the smaller (4hp or so) outboards have the capacity to charge a battery for power on the boat (lighting, etc.)? I think, after I get my mechanic to go over the motor, I'm going to see if I can get a decent amount for it in trade on a 4 hp something (Suzuki, Yamaha or Honda). I did develop a really FIERCE hatred of Yamahas when I had one on my ComPac 23 - the O ring for the connector for gas feed line would constantly get a nick in it and the engine would start sucking air and it would die at the WORSE possible moments. I always carried at least 2 spare connectors, and got so I could replace that sucker pretty fast, hanging over the stern. It's too bad I bought a 2.5 hp short shaft for my dinghy (that I bought not long ago and never used - had a Catalina 270 that I also never used because of the skinny water here on the west coast of Florida. Now I can walk to shore from the Suncat!!) I've sold the Catalina and a friend wants to buy the new dinghy, but he has a motor- gee boats ARE a big hole in the water you fill with $$$, aren't they? :-)

Sue

frank

Nope....but a 6hp Tuhatsu (sp?) which weighs the same as their 5 does....

Only 5amp...but it charges.
Small boats: God's gift to young boys and older men

Rahn

I bought a Suncat with a 9.9hp on it. Sold the motor and bought a Tohatsu 6hp sailpro with 25 inch shaft and small alternator. Worked well for me.

http://onlineoutboards.com/tohatsu-6-hp-outboards/tohatsu-6-hp-mfs6csproul-outboard-motor.html

Tom L.

We have a Nissan 5hp 4 stroke. Plenty of motor for the Sun Cat. And 4 strokes are really nice at sipping fuel.
Regarding built in chargers, I had an old Evinrude 9.9 with the generator for an Oday 25. I wouldn't waste the money. You have to run all day at half throttle to get any value from the generator. A better choice would be a small solar panel. I assume you just want to keep the battery charged mainly while stored on the trailer. A solar panel will do that very well.

Tom L.

Sun Cat "Gattio"
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat