a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Hard dodger for CP19

Started by mayrel, July 04, 2015, 09:15:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mayrel

We have been looking at adding a dodger to our CP19.  Obviously there are two options; folding or fixed.  We don't trailer our boat.  A canvas dodger high enough to accept a cockpit cover/bimini would be ideal.  Our boat came with a poorly designed bimini top which we immediately removed.  Having only sailed this boat a few times, once we did get into some heavier conditions on a beat, and we got a little wet in the cockpit on a beat; a dodger would have been nice.  It would also be nice to have a cockpit cover which could be zipped in place and possibly suspended under the boom with attachment lines to the back stay and stern pulpit.  Batons could be inserted to stiffen/support the shape.  I was thinking a simple rectangular cover, zipper on one end for attaching to the dodger, with two or three batons to support the shape width-wise, connected to the back stay/stern pulpit via lines/bungie cord.
A fixed dodger with some aft cover could be mounted on top of the cabin, the forward windows could be made to open.  With our halyards run aft, these would have to run free under/through.  The width would need to consider the cabin top winch, although we never use it.  The main difference is cost and durability. 
Any one consider a dodger and/or has one?  I'd like to know how you did yours...thanks, John

crazycarl

we thought about adding a dodger after a rough day while sailing the florida 120.

however...  a dodger plus a bimini would make it near impossible to go forward to release/retrieve the anchor or pick up a mooring.

CC

Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"

HeaveToo

It works okay on a 23.  Check mine out in the pictures.

I have a hard dodger and a soft dodger.  I prefer the soft and may eventually get rid of the hard one.  I did offer it for sale on here but no takers.
Døyr fe, døyr frender
Døyr sjølv det sama
men ordet om deg aldreg døyr
vinn du et gjetord gjevt

mayrel

There is another thread covering the idea of a canvas and/or hard dodger with extended cockpit cover.  I think it would be possible to add hand-holds to either which would allow going forward.  Some of us older folks are considering converting and/or modifying our CP19's into mini-trawlers; the subject of stability without the mast/rigging has generated some interesting postings.

mayrel

CC, you mentioned you sailed in the FL120, when was that?  We missed it the last couple of years, but now living in Shalimar FL it's on our list for next year.  I'd like to hear about whether you shore camped or slept on your CP19, did you have any issues getting in close to shore, and any other information you might have....early thanks, John

sawfish

How's this for a hard dodger?Kinda veering off topic'but alot of interesting ideas for Com-Pac boats and others...
http://www.ipass.net/sailboat/coatpack1.jpg

crazycarl

mayrel,

i believe it was in 2013.  we arrived a day early and slept on the boat.

the official 1st night everyone headed for a marina in navarre because of an approaching storm from the east.

listening to the n.o.a.a. broadcast, we decided to hang back several miles and spent a beautiful night on the hook.

the following morning we met up at the marina and everyone was complaining of not getting any sleep with the hard rain, thunder, and the boat banging against the docks.

we slept on the boat every night.

i deployed a bow anchor and set another on the beach to stern.

we were anchored in about 2 1/2' of water.  no problems.

i'd love to do it again.

c.c.
Oriental, "The Sailing Capitol of North Carolina".

1985 Compac 19/II  "Miss Adventure"
1986 Seidelmann 295  "Sur La Mer"