a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

On the hard?

Started by DanM, September 02, 2015, 09:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DanM

A question from someone who just joined the ranks of SunCat owners: With her short keel, how does she sit on the hard....  how well can the SunCat be beached, and if she were caught on a falling tide and sat on her bottom, how flat will she sit, and is this damaging to the hull? Anyone have any experience like this with a SunCat? Hoping to do some skinny-water sailing on Cape Cod this Fall if we can. Thanks, Dan

capt_nemo

DanM,

The Sun Cat, with her shallow draft (board up) and set back stub keel can get quite close in to shore. I would NOT RECOMMEND intentionally beaching her hard into shore risking something wedging itself hard into the centerboard housing below.

On a falling tide she would initially sit (touch) on the bottom and in all likelihood eventually roll over to one side or the other. If hard over, there is risk of flooding the cabin when the tide rises. Depending on the bottom type, you would at least risk jamming debris into the centerboard housing and worst case scratch or damage the outer hull surface.

Having cruised the area in question I'm familiar with the significant tidal ranges. Strongly recommend you either tow a small dinghy (hard or inflatable) or carry an inflatable dinghy aboard, to use with either oars or small motor to get you to shore while your boat remains safely anchored in enough water to float free at low tide.

If you are determined to try "beaching" on a falling tide you'll need to carry a few beams with flat feet to lash securely along BOTH sides to keep her upright as she settles. In my opinion, it requires too much work and involves too much risk to be worth it, especially when time-tested and proven alternatives are available.

Hope this helps.

capt_nemo

DanM

Thanks, Cap't. Your response sounds right and it was about what I expected to hear. Thanks for the warning. She's on mooring on a lake for now so no tide issues, of course. Maybe I'll practice towing a small canoe and see why that is like. Dan