a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Albemarle Sound deal

Started by deisher6, July 28, 2015, 09:07:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deisher6

Saw this offer in the last issue of Boats US.  Looks like an interesting trip with some free dockage.  Plan on trying it out later this summer, Have never cruised the Albemarle.  Worth checking it out. 

Anyone tried it?

http://www.albemarleloop.com

regards charlie

hoddinr

Thanks Charlie!

That's a fantastic deal.  Hope to cruise that area one day.

Ron Hoddinott

wes

That's pretty cool. I've visited some of those towns, but never by water. Once my 27 is in the water I'd love to do this.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

PalmettoSailor

Thanks, Charlie.
Great to know. Looks very interesting.
Hope all is well.
marc

deisher6

For what it is worth:
Just returned from Ablemarle Sound yesterday.  Trip went roughly: New Bern, Oriental, Goose Creek Island, Bellhaven, Little Alligator River, Columbia, Hertford, Ablemarle Plantation, Edenton, Plymouth, then back home.  There is a low bridge on Route 17 (34 ft) just upstream from Hertford so I anchored out and did not visit the town.  (but) It was such a great sail from Columbia that I made the trip.  Columbia and Plymouth are peaceful towns that would not normally be on any list of places to boat to.  They are both 4-5 nautical miles up rivers but have new super facilities and very nice folks around the docks. 

390 nautical miles, 60 hours of engine time.

Most amazing: 
-A Striker boat (I think) in Edenton.  4-350hp Yahama outboards on 43 or so ft of hull.  Computer controlled steering with a joy stick....the engines would move independently while backing and filling at the dock.  It was hull #1. One of the reps said that there was a waiting list at $680,000 each. 

-In the Alligator Pungo Canal had a bear swim across in front of the boat.  Slowed and watched it crawl out on the bank about 15 yards away...I would guess that it weighted 375+. 

-Great airshows anchored in the lower Alligator River associated with a nearby bombing range.  Day and night.

-The Admiral joined the boat for a couple of nights...I won at cribbage 4:2.

Used newly printed NOAA charts pdf format printed up at Staples, a handheld gps, good depth sounder, and a 1996 version of Claiborne Young's Cruising Guide to North Carolina Waters.  The guide was good for anchorages and interesting reading and re-reading .

There are a couple restricted areas on the sound...planned on avoiding them until I noted that they were saturated with crab traps, figured that they were not Navy traps.  However, I wouldn't anchor in them.

There are crab pots spread unevenly all over the sound east of the bridge and power line. I am not sure why the very western part of the sound is not trapped.  They are a hazard to boating.  I would not travel at night and always kept a sharp lookout.

It isn't crowded.  Met three other 'Loopers'.

I think that it would be a good cruise for smaller ComPac's.

Recommend it....glad to answer any questions.

regards charlie

Total trip was 390nm.  60 hours on the engine. 

MHardy

Charlie,
Thanks for the report - it sounds like a great trip. All I need is a bigger boat and more free time. Neither are in the near-term forecast, unfortunately!
Seagull II, 1987 CP 27
Seagull, 1983 CP 16
Washington, North Carolina

Razor

Good report Charlie. Basically 400 miles. How long did the trip take you time wise? I am guessing it would be tough to take a week off and try to complete the trip. My boat is trailerable and I could probably shave some time off if I trailered it and launched somewhere in the area instead of sailing from New Bern. Interesting.

Terry
"Cool Change" - 1994 Com-pac 23

deisher6

Hey Razor:
Left 9 Aug and returned 29 Aug.  It is very dooable on a C-19. If you launched say in Edenton.  Hertford, Columbia, Plymouth are all about 20 30 mile trips.  Albemarle Plantation was not to interesting but it was free.  I did not go ashore in Hertford because of the bridge, but it was a great sail from Columbia.

Even launching in Bellhaven and going through the Pungo & Alligator River Canal up to the Albemarle and pulling out at Columbia would be an interesting trip. with some nice anchorages.

I really recommend doing what you can do when you can get to it.

regards charlie

BruceW

I have launched at Belhaven, Edenton, and Columbia, for example, and done daytrips around there. Lots of cool places to go with a 16, 19, Suncat, etc.

Looks like a fun trip, Charlie!
Bruce Woods
Raleigh: WR 17
New Bern: CP 23