Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

New Mainsail?

Started by fiddledance, August 10, 2015, 12:20:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fiddledance

Me again!

(And many thanks to all the advice I've received so far...)

Has anyone replaced the mainsail on their CP19?  Mine is OLD and while I could try the re-stiffening (I know, I know, just can't think of another word), it just seems like the sail needs to be replaced (after 30 years).  Anyway, just looking for advice on what to buy and where?

Warmly,
Brendan

Elk River

Brendan:

While I have not replaced the main on our 19/2, a suggestion might be to find a local sail loft(s) that would know your local wind conditions and could build a suitable sail.

Elk River
Now the Mrs. Elk

wes

Do a search on "new sails" from the home page and you'll have many happy hours of reading.
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

fiddledance

Quote from: Wes on August 11, 2015, 06:14:58 PM
Do a search on "new sails" from the home page and you'll have many happy hours of reading.

Good idea!  I tried "mainsail" and was having a hard time.  Thanks for the advice.

Lafayette Bruce

Many on this site have used National Sail Supply, including myself, and we have been pleased.
Consider loose footed.  Standard reefs are at 15% & 30% but you may want to consider putting these elsewhere depending on your normal sailing area and how much sail you want to handle in a heavy blow.
Lafayette Bruce
Lafayette Bruce

fiddledance

That sounds great everyone--thank you!  It seems like some people do their reffing points at 10 and 20%, so that's worth considering.

Fair winds,
Brendan