a place to make sailing friends.
Jump on in and have fun, folks! :)
- CaptK, Crewdog Barque, and your friendly CPYOA Moderators

Main Menu

Circlips?

Started by Cwagne, August 02, 2015, 10:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cwagne

I have a "new-to-me" ComPac 16 and am thinking a few extra parts might be nice to have in a ditty bag.  Found 9/16 wrenches, extra mast bolts, rudder bolts and lock nuts, etc.  But, circlips?  What a silly thing that I don't know where to look or what to really call them except 'those round things that you put on car keys".
The bad news is, the first time raising the mast, "up" went fine but I didn't think "down" through carefully enough and the mast swayed to the side and ripped a screw out of the bracket. Looked like it had happened before judging from the glue remnants on the screw, so I stuck some toothpicks in there with wood glue, rescrewed, and it seems to be good.  I've read all the posts on losing the mast and realize that the tabernacle can't really hold the mast up anyway.
So, dry run on the lawn worked, ready for the lake, just think I need some spare parts.  What else should go in that bag besides sunscreen?
Love this forum, I have read through a lot of it and it is very informative!

relamb

I keep a canvas tool bag on the boat with a little bit of everything.  Adjustable wrench, vice grips, needle nose pliers with wire cutters, wire ties, 10' of electrical wire, fuses, electrical tape, wire nuts, duct tape, stainless wire, cotter pins, ratchet screwdriver with large and small straight and phillips tips, nylon string, spare light bulbs, Some old prescription bottles with a few misc stainless nuts, bolts, and screws. pocket knife, razor knife, flashlight, extra batteries in a baggie, hacksaw blade, little can of WD-40, a rag, cigarette lighter, ...  I've extended that lately to include a cheapy $5 voltmeter.
It doesn't all need to be marine grade stuff, just supplies to fix any minor problems until you get back home, so you don't lose any precious sailing time.
I have such a kit in every vehicle.
I knew a guy who saved his wife's old purses, and kept an old purse full of tools - in the house, in every car, in the boat, etc.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

Tom L.

An old purse...perfect. I think my wife has half the house in her purse.
Present boat, Menger 19 "Wild Cat"    O'Day 25, Montego 25, Catalina 30, Tartan 37, Catalina 380, Mariner 19, Potter 19, Sun Cat

Cwagne

Thanks for the list, relamb.  Wow, I had a wrench, vice grips and a do-everything screwdriver, plus two grades of sunscreen.  I'll have to plump it up.  That's a good list!! 
Finally found the circlips.  They are a little heavier gauge that the one-timers.  Found them at my favorite hardware store at the little spot where they make keys.  Loaded a half dozen of them on a chain!
I found a bag at the dollar store that is probably a women's travel ditty bag.  Unrolls with about 6 pockets.  I figure I can hang it in the cubby when I'm finished carrying it around.  It needs a lot more stuff.
Thanks for your help

wes

Cwagne - I don't think you mean "circlips." Circlips look like this, and don't have much use on a CP 16:

I think you probably mean "cotter rings,", which look like this:

If you are using the cotter rings on your turnbuckles, please buy real ones (West Marine has them), which are made of stainless steel, are strong and won't rust, and not key rings from the hardware store. This is an important piece of safety hardware on your boat. If you're just putting your car keys on them, then, well, never mind.

Wes
"Sophie", 1988 CP 27/2 #74
"Bella", 1988 CP 19/3 #453
Bath, North Carolina

Cwagne

Now that's a piece of info I needed.  Mine seem pretty strong but I'll look for the real thing.  Thanks!  And, yes, I kept asking for circlips and got your picture #1

legends117

I believe those are called split cotter rings.
- JD Johnson
Panama City Beach, FL
Com-Pac 25, Hull #9
S/V Dutch Roll (from the previous 2 owners, & before that she was "somewhere up North" called Stella Bella)

relamb

I'm sure that's not a comprehensive list, it's just what I recall off the top of my head.  In my CP27 the bag also includes a hammer, electric drill, drill bits, spade bits, a handsaw like you'd saw drywall with, a small socket set, wrench set, allen wrenches, oil filter wrench, wire strippers, paint scraper,   ...
In that boat there's a storage box with many sizes of stainless fasteners, and another with rigging materials (pins, cotter pins, a few spare sheaves, etc).
Wood glue, small tubes of 5200, 2 part marine epoxy,  electrical crimp fittings, heat shrink, and marine grade wire, and more fuses.  The tools all fit in a bag about like a gym bag.
I can fix pretty much just about anything with those tools and supplies, at least temporarily.
Rick
CP16 CP23 CP27
Zionsville, IN

DougN

Just bought 5/8 cotter rings from"Rigging Only" on-line.One hundred for $9.37.That should last me a while.

Craig

Use  the extras to make nautical necklaces, bracelets, etc! LOL
Craig, Horizon Cat "Kailani"  Punta Gorda, FL